prologue

[ Joelle ]

Everyone has heard of those happy endings at the end of every fairytale where the Prince will rescue the Princess from the evil villain and they'll live happily ever after or however it goes.

This story, my story, doesn't have a happy ending. At least it doesn't feel like it does right now. My modern-day story is simple really. I was blind. Blinded by a love that is.

I fell for the wrong person and in the end, I had to pay for it. There's a constant fear that the evil villain will capture me from my prince, it haunts me every day. The past is a real thing and it will come back to haunt us.

Love is an awfully cruel thing in this world. It has its perks where it's the most fascinating but slowly it'll manipulate you into someone you're not.

Take me for an example, I was a good student, starting my freshman year of college with my best friends Borah, Woojin, and Chan but then I saw him. I saw Han Jisung.

Ever since that godforsaken day, I've been obsessed with Jisung, completely in love with him like I was under some kind of spell or mind trick.

Over time, those feelings I felt towards Han Jisung, they changed me. They changed me into someone who I wasn't, someone who I never wanted to be and in return, the feeling was never mutual. It was always one-sided...or at least that's what it felt like until he changed.

In the end, it's safe to say that love is the only thing to blame. Not myself, not Jisung, not my friends, not the world, not my fate, love. I blamed love then and even now, I blamed love.

I blamed my past for hurting the ones I loved the most, it came back to haunt me.

I was so furious with the past that in the end, it got to me and I finally lost.

I lost the game.