Chapter Eight

The next day, Aubrey decided, would be spent doing two things: death staring Harry Potter at every damn opportunity and trying to figure out what the hell was causing her headaches. Since the announcement of the Champions, her head had suddenly felt like it was being hit with a mallet every few hours, leading to a bad night's sleep which had only heightened her bad mood.

Angela had joked that perhaps house pride was to blame whilst Lexy had an alternative theory that Aubrey was now psychic and she'd predicted Harry stealing the limelight once again. Kenny reckoned she was hungover (despite not drinking) which had earnt him a sport on her death staring list for the day.

"Aubrey..." Lexy approached tentatively as Aubrey was hunched over the desk, her curls wild and untamed like a lion's mane. Appearances were the last thing on her mind today, if anything the manic hair would help terrify Harry Potter if he dared to come near.

"Hon, I am warning you to stay away right now," Aubrey groaned, her quill moving quickly as she scrawled down another idea she remembered for headache cures, "I will bite you. Not for definite but there's a high chance."

"I'm going to sit down anyway," Lexy took a seat opposite her, lying her head down so she was level with Aubrey and tried to catch her eye, "Are you sure you're not hungover."

Aubrey's head slowly rose, her fingers tightening around the ink pot in a vaguely threatening manner, "I will throw this at you."

"Woah, calm down," Lexy leapt up quickly, only returning to her seat once Aubrey had put the pot back in it's rightful place, "I'm just trying to help because if you are and Kenny was somehow right, then I know some pretty good cures."

"So do I, not that I've ever had to use them," Aubrey snapped, the pain suddenly pulsating again. She closed her eyes tightly, waiting a few seconds before it had eased to continue, "Everyone does, it's basically common knowledge. Girl, seriously I am not in a good place right now."

Lexy gritted her teeth in an awkward smile, "If it makes you feel any better, I saw one of the twins in the hospital wing earlier, reckon he's still recovering from his beard."

"Why on earth would that make me feel better?" Aubrey asked.

"Um... knowledge on your crush and the fact that it's sort of revenge for him making you vomit everywhere?" Lexy suggested.

"I already saw him get catapulted into the air, I think that was enough," She put her quill down, resting her head on the parchmenr, "I'm just so angry right now. Darling Harry Potter couldn't resist being in the limelight again. Like the boy needs to give it a rest, you know?"

"I do know," Lexy replied, gently patting her back, "Everyone seems annoyed, Roger got very vocal about it earlier in class - nobody's happy. But Aubrey, oh my God, he looked really cute, stood up and everything, it was insane."

"I bet the Gryffindors are happy, did you see Kenny and Angela's faces? They were hiding smiles, one upped us again. I hate it, we're such a joke to them," Aubrey moaned, "It feels like this rage is never going to go away."

Slowly, she lifted her head up a fraction and Lexy looked vaguely horrified at the slightly manic gleam in her eye.

"Lexy, you know the phrase every cloud has a silver lining?" She asked, "Well, maybe this really, really awful Potter-shaped cloud has a silver lining too."

"Which is?" Lexy asked, raising a quizzical eyebrow at her friend.

"Girl, I'm going to need your full support on this, I'm channeling my rage into something positive," Aubrey said, slowly standing up from the desk.