Chapter Sixty One

"So, you'll definitely fall down some stairs?"

"Yes, Kenny."

"Or bump into a wall at least."

"That's right, Kenny, would you like a sickle for this incredible guessing?" Aubrey rolled her eyes as Fred's tone became increasingly patronising; at this point, she wasn't even sure who it was aimed at, over the past few days, both boys had been acting like five-year-olds.

Honestly, the weight of the world on our shoulders and all Kenny cares about is whether he gets to see me hurt or not. Bloody nice of him, isn't it?

She was about to reply but Kenny's mouth had already opened again, "And I - "

"Kenny, enough!" She replied firmly.

As if in surrender, Kenny raised his arms as the three walked, "Just making sure I can justify this to Angela. If she thinks did this for no reason, well..."

Weirdly, Fred seemed to get this, nodding along, "I can guarantee you'll see me get hurt ... oh and I forgot to mention, don't talk to me and Aubrey at all. We're meant to be ... cursed. Essentially, just pretend you're working alone, cover for us."

"Cursed? Aubrey, are you alright?" Kenny's brow furrowed, "And why are you're telling me this as we're walking towards Mad-Eye's classroom? What, did you think I'd back out or something if you told me before? ... Aubrey, is everything alright?"

For a moment, she didn't reply before sighing, "Not really but it's ridiculously complex and right now, I'm nervous as it is so if I explain, I might have a meltdown!"

Fred and Kenny exchanged a look before Fred grinned, "So that's how you stay calm in weird situations!"

"That and an overbearing moral compass," She replied, "Denial, repression and morality ... pretty great combination."

As the three came up the stairs toward the Defence against the Dark Art's corridor, they were pleased to see the door was shut, allowing them to get into vague position. Mad-Eye was still barking 'Act normally' into their heads, which had eerily fallen into unison resulting in a bizarre echoic effect. The plan was slapdash, they'd walk up the stairs under the pretence of Fred's 'undecided academic reasons' then create a distraction whilst Kenny came down it, duplicating the flask as he did so. It wasn't quite the ordered, well thought out plan Aubrey would have liked but at this point, that was but a distant dream, chaos truly was everywhere.

At the top of the stairs, they saw Kenny casually mingling before darting out of sight behind a pillar just as the door of the classroom opened, unleashing a flood of Second Years. For a moment they appeared to be alone but after the crowd died down, the surly Defence teacher followed. 

Are you ready?

Fred asked, which was a little late considering they were already walking towards Mad-Eye in the eerie precision of Imperiused people. Bit late for turning back now.

"Not really, but it doesn't matter, I'm taking a chaotic leaf out of your book," She replied, resisting the urge to check on Kenny although this would no doubt be a giveaway to the keen-eyed Moody, "I'm more worried about you falling down these stairs, if I'm honest."

Of all the things to worry about, don't worry about that. If my head were any harder, you could use it as a cannonball