Chapter Eighteen

From what Fred had seen of Aubrey she was a motivated, if slightly controlling girl but finally, he was catching a glimpse of the hidden procrastination lurking just below the surface. It wasn't just broken promises that made her avoid tasks but also if she didn't want to do something, she would find a lot of excuses not to. Rather than plan how she was going to escape George before the First task, she chose to go over and over where the book could be or how to talk in time to the point where it was ridiculous. Her crush was slightly interfering in this, even if she refused to admit it, so he'd been forced to actually take charge... secretly though so she didn't get all pissy about it.

The Hufflepuff common room was a nice, cosy place with soft lighting that Fred found really comforting. In the afternoons, both him and Lexy had a free giving him the perfect opportunity to draft up a list of ways to distract George. Kenny and Angela were very attentive but Lexy seemed to be a little lost in the clouds all the time, talking on and on about Roger or wild fantasies which provided some nice white noise.

"Oh my God and then when we were in the Great Hall, me and Roger made eye contact! I mean, he looked back at Fleur straight after but for a few seconds, he looked at me," Lexy laughed, "Oh, and you'll never guess what I overheard as was I was going down the corridors. You know Jules, that girl in Slytherin well apparently for the first task, they have to fight a beast of some sorts so they reckon it might be a giant although that would be inhumane, don't you think? I reckon it will be something scaly... "

"Yes, hon, I do," Fred replied, "Girl, you look great today by the way."

"Oh, Aubrey, stop it," Lexy laughed, "What's got into you recently? You've been so positive."

"Hon, I guess, I'm just happy, hon," Fred replied, staring at the empty parchment in front of him.

"I bet it's because you've been spending all that time with Fred," Lexy giggled, "One step closer to George."

"Oh yeah..." Aubrey's crush still made him feel a little uncomfortable but Aubrey had hardly mentioned it with her friends, so luckily neither did he.

"Sorry, I forgot that you still don't like talking about it much," Lexy laughed, "What are you writing?"

"Notes, hon."

"Oh, alright," Lexy said, tilting back in the chair, "You know, Fred actually seems really funny. George was always a bit dry and sarky to me but Fred's more chatty."

"Fred is a really amazing guy, hon," Fred replied, trying to suppress a laugh, "Possibly the best in school, hon."

"What? Even better than George?" Lexy asked, raising a quizzical eyebrow.

"Yeah, heaps," He replied without thinking, "Hon, this is all objectively speaking but yes. I think Fred is the superior twin, hon."

"Your hair looks great today, Aubrey," Somebody said as they passed.

"Thanks, Suze!"

Lexy gave another small laugh, "Oh my God, Aubrey, this really has changed you. I can't believe you're actually going for this with George... through Fred, but whatever. Like me and Angela bet that you wouldn't..." Her cheeks went bright red suddenly, "Well, um... not betting exactly but... we just thought you wouldn't."

"No, girl, it's fine," Fred replied, proud of how much he'd managed to speak like her. Maybe he'd been a little too liberal with the word 'hon' but more was better than less. Lexy continued talking, rapidly switching topic to Charms class which gave Fred even more time to actually start his list.

Dangle a naked person in front of him

He hastily crossed that off, going over it enough times until the words were suitably obscured. Whilst the thought of it made him snigger slightly, it was too obvious and more of a joke suggestion than a real one. He wasn't sure of Aubrey's view on sudden nudity either but sensed she wouldn't endorse it.