Chapter Fifty

The night at the lake had been a much needed night off but had also raised some new questions, namely just how Mad-Eye was involved. Aubrey and Fred, eager to change back for so many reasons, were adamant he was the 'Crab-apple'. It made sense to them, he was rude and definitely had the authority to force people into silence if necessary. However, Lexy was sticking true to her theory: Mad-Eye was the victim.

Perhaps the idea of going up against such an experienced man was just too terrifying and believing he was a potential ally made it better for her, but Lexy adamantly refused to budge. George, torn between plausibility and the girl who might help him get over Angelina, remained quieter and bizarrely cryptic. When pressed, he'd simply shrugged before suggesting:

"He could be both."

Still, as much as they debated, there was one thing they could agree on: Mad-Eye needed to be investigated. It felt like the truth was within their grasp, so close Aubrey could almost reach out and touch it if she only tried hard enough. With persistence only Hufflepuffs could muster, Aubrey and Lexy badgered Professor Dumbledore until he revealed who was taking their detention; to their delight, Thursday, the penultimate one was to be taken by Mad Eye. This, of course, led to an increase in planning, using all available time they had as opposed to just meetings. Frees, lunch times, even lessons were used to figure out a plan and Charms was no exception.

Aubrey's conversations with Roger had varied dramatically through the year, no doubt leaving the boy confused. He looked even more baffled now as the moment Flitwick left to collect some textbooks, she leant over to ask:

"Hey, Roger ... do you mind swapping seats with someone?"

Roger cocked his head to the side, "Well, yes actually, this is my seat - "

"Technically, they all belong to the school," Aubrey replied, "And the school is paid for by the government so it's not yours, is it now?"

Whilst not the best argument, it had taken her all of Transfiguration to come up with so she was sure as hell going to use it. 

This only seemed to irritate him more, "Yes, but Professor Flitwick told me to sit here, he'll be annoyed if I switch."

"You're a Ravenclaw, correct?"

"Yes."

"Then I'm sure you can talk your way out of it, I have faith in you: we all do, Roger," Aubrey shrugged, "Please? You can sit with Matilda, she's really nice, I even suggested you ask her to the dance, remember? That's a surefire stamp of approval, I know my women! I just really need to sit with Lexy ... please?"

Roger was still adamant about staying put but Lexy, having overheard her name, was now turned around and ready to help. Aubrey could tell by the look in her eyes she still felt a lingering lust for Roger, but was managing to suppress it remarkably well.

"Roger, please let me switch with you?" She asked, Roger averting his gaze as he had done since she'd tried and failed to ask him out (under Aubrey's expert guidance).

Weirdly, he did look a little more persuaded, glancing between the pair of them, "Why?"

"Well ... we're ... um ..." Aubrey was suddenly wishing Fred was around, he seemed to be better at on the spot things than her. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily), Lexy was on hand to cover for her.

"Friends with ... benefits," Lexy said at last, her cheeks glowing a fierce crimson colour, "Bedroom buddies ... friendtimate ... Fred, you maybe want to take over?"

Confusion had turned to mild horror as Roger now sat completely still, along with several other people who'd overheard the bizarre conversation.

Although this wasn't the route she would have taken, Aubrey began to slowly nod, figuring resistance would just make it worse, "Yes ... that we are. Look, we really need this time to plan our next - "