Chapter Fifty Four

"Leaving so soon?"

Although Kenny's had practically shouted, it was as if he hadn't spoken at all to Aubrey who was completely wrapped in a surreal dream world. Nothing could describe the fear pulsing through her veins at the thought of leaving the Great Hall: their safe haven. Something about the man was so unspeakably terrifying grating on every single one of her phobias ever. Perhaps it was the seemingly limitless power he possessed or the eerily omniscient eye but she doubted even Lord Voldemort could compete with him in terms of fear factor alone.

"Yes ... we'll see you later, I promise," Lexy lied, her and Fred taking one of Aubrey's hands in their own before gently pulling the girl away. The moment they were out of eyesight, safely hidden behind one of the closed wooden doors, Lexy stopped, "Aubrey, are you alright?"

"Not really," Fred replied for Aubrey, when words evaded her, "Well, it was Mad-Eye who switched us, he told all ... before suddenly firing deadly curses at us. Been a bit of a rough evening..."

"He might find us," Aubrey croaked, taking a deep breath, "We need to move fast, where's George?"

Suddenly hesitation overcame Lexy, biting her lip so hard it almost broke through the chapped skin. Fred wasn't having this, a strange forcefulness washing over him as he stood tall, "Where is George, Lexy?"

"I, um, think we can handle it on our own maybe ... we'll tell you later when you've..." Her blue eyes gradually panned across to Aubrey who looked no less peaky, "... recovered a little."

"No, hon," Aubrey spoke up, pushing herself away from the lovely supportive stone wall, "We see him now."

"Aubrey, that's not a good idea - "

"Merlin's beard, this is taking too long," Fred huffed, pushing past the blonde before striding away. Exchanging a concerned look, the two girls were quick on his heels. Lexy may not have been strong but she had enthusiasm, delaying Fred by frantically tugging at his sleeve.

"Fred, stop..."

"Why?"

"You're ... you're going the wrong way," She whispered, at last as she realised resistance was futile: nothing would stop Fred finding his twin, "Come on. If you two are really in as much danger as you said, we need to move quickly, explain it all when we get there."

The corridors were busy, the last stragglers from supper having been kicked out yet this didn't matter to the trio. Their powerful strides radiated power, the crowds parting instantly with one look alone. Sadly, none of them had time to bask in the glory: they had a mission to complete.

Eventually, they rounded the corner into a strikingly silent corridor which appeared to be a dead end. For a brief moment, Aubrey considered the worst: Lexy was really Mad-Eye, switching bodies once again and they'd been drawn into a trap. All of a sudden, her legs seemed to vanish and she wobbled on the spot, gripping Fred's shoulders to stay up. Quickly, he was at her side, pulling her back, remaining still until she'd steadied herself.

"Aubrey, what happened?"

For a few moments she said nothing, her thoughts too mixed up to decipher before slowly shaking her head, "N-nothing, just feeling a little lightheaded - where's Lexy?"

"She's - "

Panic gripped her as she looked around rapidly, "Lexy, where are you?"

"I'm here," She zoomed in on the voice; Lexy was standing a mere few meters away at the end, her blue eyes wide as saucers. Aubrey's attention was quickly diverted however to the intricately carved wall behind her friend that was undergoing a curious transformation, the cold, matte wall gradually transforming into a brilliant, gleaming mahogany door.