Chapter Forty Four

For the first time in a while, Aubrey and George talked, actually talked, forced to work together in sussing out where Kenny was. After several minutes of rational elimination, George reckoned he knew where it was occurring, a forgotten room from another era so the two rushed down there... only to find it completely empty.

Aubrey, a panic-stricken look setting in, frantically looked around the room, "Wait ... where's Kenny? We were logical, this has to be it."

A grave look had crossed George's face, followed by a vague smirk, "I ... I think I get it."

"What do you mean? Do you think Lexy lied?"

George shook his head, "We were played, Aubrey, tricked into coming here."

"But ... why? Oh ... I think I know why," She replied, nodding slowly. It made sense that Lexy would want to solve it, the past week had been tense for everyone although she'd wished it hadn't a trick to get them talking again.

After a pause, she tentatively said, "Well ... this is uncomfortable ... I kind of wish they hadn't done this but ... " She had no idea why she was doing this, discussing sensitive matters of the heart required a lot more planning, "We should probably use it and you know ... talk."

George still had a slightly baffled look on his face, "Aw, I should've guessed it was a prank! Fred would never do something like that without telling me!"

His random comments were definitely not helping, forcing Aubrey to take control, even though for the first time in her life, she was really wishing someone else would take the lead. In strange jerky movements, Aubrey made her way across the room, hopping onto the desk beside him.

"Okay ... this is hard for me but ... I think we do need to discuss this, for the sake of everyone," She replied, "Alright, here goes, I feel like you hate me, hon - "

"I don't hate you."

She sighed, "It just feels like it because I ... I thought we would be okay but you don't want to meet my eyes and I ..." Her voice seemed to give way, the whole encounter making her squirm, "I can't help that I liked - "

"Liked?"

"Like you," She corrected.

George considered this for a few moments, pressing his lips together and looking down at his tightly clasped hands. 

After a few moments, he let out a deep breath and said, "Aubrey, you seem really nice and if anyone could have swapped bodies with my brother, you're pretty cool but ... nothing can or will ever happen between us," He swiftly looked away, jamming his fingers into his palm, "I'm sorry if that was blunt, I don't want to hurt your feelings so I figured I should just say it simply so everything's out in the open. This is nothing against you, we get on well but I don't know ... I see you as a brother, literally."

The words stung her like one hundred angry bees were attacking all over, but at least she knew now. She'd kind of guessed it, after everything that had happened, if he'd been into her it would have actually been weirder. It felt like the end of an era, her first crush having gone disastrously and involuntarily, little tears formed in the corner of her eyes.

"Th - thank you for your honesty, hon," She replied, her voice quavering. Annoyingly, George detected this, his face falling as he noticed her damp cheeks.

"Oh, Aubrey, I'm sorry. I should have sugar coated it, that was too harsh," He murmured, awkwardly reaching out before hastily retracting his arms, "Do you want a hug?"

"Not really."

"Good, me neither ... not in a rude way," He said, "Aubrey, I'm sorry."

Even though her whole mood had dropped, she forced a smile onto her face, willing the tears to retreat back into her eyes again.