Chapter Fifty Seven

The fear that had gripped Aubrey returned but this time she pushed through, reminding herself that 'Moody' was really just a clueless genius ... who'd somehow awaken old magic bound for millennia. Still, it wasn't like she had a choice right now, any resistance would likely lead to Lexy being tossed down the stairs which outweighed any fear right now.

As they walked, forced to pretend nothing was wrong under Mad-Eye's instruction, it began to dawn on Aubrey just how powerful 'Mad-Eye' was. Of course, it took vast power to switch people but it only really hit her when she saw the speed at which he'd cast the Imperius curse: Lexy had been out of sight for a mere few seconds.

It felt ironic that it was Lexy who had been placed under it considering how fretful she'd been just a mere few minutes ago. Still, nobody would ever have guessed it, given how at peace she looked now, a vacant smile across her pink lips that didn't quite reach the now misty eyes. On the way, the group passed by a few students yet nobody seemed to notice anything out of the ordinary, simply gazing sympathetically despite Aubrey's best attempts to telepathically communicate with them.

Eventually, they made it to 'Moody's' office, the man holding the door open for them to which Fred grinned.

"Such a gentleman."

Despite the fact he was joking at a time like this, she could tell it was a facade. In fact, a comment that inappropriate meant he was freaking out big time. She only hoped he'd be able to tone it down for the meeting: Mad-Eye was angry enough already. 

"So ..." George laughed nervously, "Is this an open session or are you going to lead?"

"Shut your mouth."

"Alrighty then," George replied, genuinely obliging as the professor pressed his wand onto the back of Lexy's skin. Subtly, Aubrey's fingers found Fred's, almost intertwining before 'Mad-Eye' abruptly sent a jet of yellow light towards them, knocking Aubrey backwards onto a strange, dark chest. Fred looked between them horrified before pulling her up, glaring at 'Mad-Eye' with a stern defiance.

"I was going to make this easy for you," His voice seemed to have changed, suddenly higher and smoother as if he wasn't even trying to hide anymore, "Scope out Cedric Diggory and we wouldn't have had any of this but you had to go and talk to Charlie, didn't you? Didn't think I'd check in with him when I realised he was slipping from my control?"

She wished she had the courage to sass the man but fear was choking up her throat, forcing her to remain silent. Lexy was only an arm's length away, smiling eerily as if her mind had left her: Aubrey could reach out so easily if 'Mad-Eye' would only look away.

"Well, it doesn't matter now, the end's the same," 'Moody' spat, "No tricks, I'm warning you, or Alexandra will have a nasty accident"

"Lexy ... she likes to be called Lexy and please, she's not involved," Aubrey managed to choke out, "It's me and Fred, you can - "

"She's obviously involved, stop lying!" 'Mad-Eye' hissed, "I said no tricks - "

"That wasn't a trick, she was just saying," George cut in quickly, his arms hovering in Lexy's direction, "So are you going to switch them back or do we get an elaborate villain speech?"

When the imposter next spoke, it was with eerily sensual pride, "I'm not the Villain - "

"You were using students as test subjects for magic you didn't understand," Fred pointed out.

"Sometimes that's the only way," 'Mad-Eye' spat, "And I had a better understanding of it than you, boy."

"That's not hard really," Fred replied, "You're clearly a smart man - "