Chapter Thirty

Although her and Fred's agreement was purely down to strategic reasons, Aubrey still felt guilty about breaking it. She'd done the right thing for Lexy but it sure didn't feel that way as she paced through the corridors, trying to find the courage to go talk to him. As she strolled through, she half hoped that she'd bump into Fred and get the conversation out of the way but fate, as usual, chose to get it just a little wrong and sent her the other twin instead. As she rounded the corner towards the Gryffindor tower, there George was, walking the other way.

"Evening Fred, out for an evening stroll without me? Rude," George grinned which still sent slight butterflies through her stomach, although today they were mostly drowned out by the heavy pit that had stolen the space instead instead.

"Sorry," She mumbled, George's brow instantly furrowing as he noticed her clear distress.

"Oh Fred, what did you do?"

"How do you know I did anything?" She asked to which George simply grinned, artfully raising one eyebrow.

With a sigh, she conceded, "Okay, fine, I kind of messed up a little bit - "

"Was it by any chance to do with Aubrey?" George asked, looking at something behind her head.

"How did you know?"

Instead of replying, George pressed his lips together in a sympathetic smile before pointing over at the end of the corridor. Thanks to the dim lighting of the corridors, it made everything ten times more dramatic which Fred and George had used to their advantage many times. However, today it just made the silhouette of Fred, his curls manically askew, even more terrifying than it should have been. As he made his way over, he still walked at an easygoing pace but there was a slight stiffness to him that left strangely unnerved.

"Fred, what did you do?" George repeated as Fred's face finally came into the light.

For a second, the three of them stood there in silence before Fred spoke, "I'm not angry just disappointed."

Aubrey hung her head, "So ... Lexy told you?"

"Yup."

George looked between the two of them, "Should I leace or ... you know what, I think I'll stay 'cos this looks like it's going to be interesting."

Usually, Aubrey would feel a little embarrassed by his added presence but she was far too preoccupied by Fred to really care, "Look, I know I said we could go together but it was just so awkward and Lexy needed cheering up. She'd just been rejected by her crush - "

"Ooh, who's her crush?" George cut in.

"Roger," Fred replied frankly, "The Ravenclaw captain."

George shrugged, "I guess I see it."

"Anyway," Aubrey continued, glaring at the two of them, "I know we agreed to go together but ... it's Lexy, she's my best friend," Quickly remembering George's presence, she added, "Because of Charms, she's such a laugh. Anyway, we can still hang out at the dance but I just want her to have a nice time, she's been through a lot."

For a few seconds, their eyes were locked together as they desperately tried to decipher what the other was feeling. Although at first glance, Fred's features portrayed a carefree mellow vibe, his eyes were narrowed a little too small and the corners of his mouth were turned down marginally more than usual.

After what felt like an eternity, Fred gave a shrug, "I get it, that's fine. I'd do the same for my friends too ... well, Lexy is my best friend but you know what I mean."

Aubrey breathed a sigh of relief, "Thank you for understanding. We'll still hang out, I swear, me and Lexy are just going as friends, trust me."

Fred nodded, giving her a slightly strained smile, "Well, I have ... stuff to do so I'll head off."