Chapter Forty One

The two girls sat in complete silence, both of them doing excellent demonstrations of poker faces. In reality, Aubrey's mind was working at the speed of light, trying to figure out how exactly she should play this. On one hand, a bald-faced lie might work if she really gave it her all but that would be hard given that Lexy already knew. After a few moments, though, Lexy clearly grew tired of their potentially infinite staring contest and exclaimed:

"Oh my God, Aubrey just tell me one way or the other because I made a bold statement and well ... you're making it so awkward that soon I won't even be able to enjoy my own victory!"

Aubrey remained silent for a few moments before doing a half nod, "It ... might not be completely implausible..."

"It's a yes, no answer really ... you either are Aubrey or you aren't Aubrey..."

"Well, it's not really, is it, hon?" Aubrey pointed out, "I mean, I kind of am and I'm kind of not, it all depends on your definition of a person. Because technically, in a biological sense, I'm Fred - "

At this, Lexy jumped up into a kneeling position, clapping her hands, "Oh my God, so I am right! You are Aubrey!"

"Mentally ... yes, although I - "

Lexy didn't let her finish, excitedly squealing before slumping back so far she almost fell off the bench. Aubrey was less enthusiastic, patiently waiting for Lexy to stop jabbing at her arm and chanting "I was right!" Finally, she settled down and Aubrey calmly decided to continue.

"How on earth did you know?"

"I have a wild imagination," Lexy shrugged, "Kenny and Angela are always going on about logic and stuff ... " She wiggled her fingers in air quotes, "Oh Lexy, Aubrey's acting differently because of Fred and George's influence ... oh Lexy, maybe she's just on her period ... for what, Kenny, three months? Ha, stupid Kenny."

"So ... this was just a random idea you plucked from your mind and hoped it was right?" Aubrey asked and Lexy shrugged.

"Well, sort of ... still can't believe I was right, oh my God ... sorry, I'll be calm," She took several deep breathes although they still failed to wipe the grin off of her face, "Okay, so you seemed a lot livelier and were joking around a lot more compared to your usual dryness plus you were randomly sneaking off with Fred in the evenings. You also suddenly began to use hon a lot more than usual and at weird places; you were just off in general. It was, literally like someone was pretending to be you ... and they were!"

"But then when 'Fred' randomly started talking to me in Charms and clumsily tried to get me to talk to Roger, I figured something was strange. There are very few people who knew about my crush on Roger and even fewer who are so hopeless at romance that they assumed forcing us to talk was a good idea."

"At least I tried," Aubrey pointed out, "Usually, I just don't even bother."

"I know and I'm very proud. It's a baby step in the right direction and that is what this is all about," Lexy replied encouragingly, "Anyway, let me carry on with my explanation! It's not often I get to sound really smart, let me have this!"

"Sorry, go on."

"So, I remember when you forced me to ask Roger to the dance and I made a fool of myself? Before that, 'Fred' kept making really weird comments like saying I forced you to ask out George ... when I was your brother and you kept using hon and then you were really tactless! At first I thought you were maybe under the imperius curse but then Kenny began complaining how it felt like you were turning into Fred and let's just say, my imagination went beserk from there," She tossed her blonde hair in an arrogant fashion, "I mean, it was inevitable I would figure it out eventually, you can't swap my best friend with a stranger and not expect me to know."