Chapter Forty Eight

When Aubrey and Fred reported back to their teammates, it was Lexy who reacted the most strongly, freaking out that Aubrey would end up dead. This was not helpful and only made Aubrey panic even more - inside, of course, she wasn't one for showy discomfort. This new information, of course, meant an entirely new plan had to be created, their old chalk lists replaced with a police-style web (which Aubrey and George had great fun creating). Everything was linked together, no longer could they pin things down to personal motivations alone.

Luckily, Dumbledore was still the number one suspect, in fact, it was even more likely that he was involved if anything. He was known for his slightly chequered past - if rumours were to be believed - and the letters she'd found from Grindlewald only seemed to confirm this. Whilst it was nice to have a lead, she kind of wished it was just Ludo or even Kenny, the idea of going up against her Headmaster was incredibly daunting.

For the next few days, the four made it their aim to find Jack and Charlie and continue grilling them but when they eventually tracked them down, the two boys were apart again. Both boys refused to say anything, refusing to say more than a simple hellow. Clearly, the great 'Crabapple' had done something to earn their silence.

Now that the threat had increased, planning was going a lot more smoothly, spurred on by a mutual desire to switch back as soon as possible. Whilst the prospect of detention had at first seemed like a negative, they were even starting to find a silver lining to that too. If they were lucky, the pair would get a 'sleeper' teacher, someone who didn't care and let them get on with their own thing. This would give them time to plan about who the Crabapple could be and meanwhile, Lexy and George could do a bit of tailing on their sly fox of a Headmaster, figure out if he was engaging in shady dealings with Ravenclaws.

Despite her earlier panic, the sense of control and order calmed her down, and by the time their detention rolled around, she actually was feeling pretty good about it. In her mind, detention was just writing lines and that could easily be faked. Sadly, detention at Hogwarts was a little more creative...

"We're clearing up a flood?" Aubrey asked, whilst Fred sniggered, "I'm confused, how did the Arithmancy classroom flood in the first place? It's just numbers, future telling numbers! There's literally no way there could be a flood..."

"W-well, there is," Professor Greenwood, an exceptionally short woman with constantly fidgeting hands stuttered back, "You s-see, the Fifth years g-got a little excited - "

"Merlin's beard, they must have been really excited to create a flood," Fred chimed in, laughing at his own crude joke.

"M-miss Jackson!"

"Sorry," He replied, suppressing his smirk.

"And th-they'd just learnt Aguamenti in Charms a-and you can see what happened there..." Professor Greenwood nervously laughed at the end; Aubrey did not look impressed.

"Will you be coming with us, hon?" Fred asked to which the Professor shook her head.

"Oh n-no, I've got l-little legs, I m-might get swept away," She tittered.

For a second, Aubrey looked like she was going to argue before Fred swooped in, putting his arm around her and guiding her out, "Thank you, Professor Greenwood, third floor, right? We've got this!"

Aubrey remained silent until they were several corridors away. Fred also noticed that she hadn't shrugged his arm off from around her shoulders, if anything, she seemed to be slightly resting her head on his so left it there.

"I can't believe we have to magically remove a flood, this is crazy."

"Eh, fairly standard for a detention," Fred replied, "Haven't you ever had one before?"