Chapter Twenty One

"Do you really think George won't be angry at me?" Aubrey asked, as the two crept into the library. Everyone, including Madam Pince had gone to attend the first task, which meant the library had been locked from the outside but thanks to Fred's secret passage, locked doors weren't an issue anymore.

"I told you before, no," Fred replied, leaping down from the painting with feline-esque agility. Aubrey quickly followed, feeling better about it than last time, although she still managed to fall in a crumpled heap, "Not if you say the Ludo excuse anyway."

"Okay," Aubrey replied, "Why am I stressing about this anyway, if he gets angry, it'll be at you not me, so once we switch back, my chances with him won't be affected."

"Not letting your crush get in the way of things, huh?" Fred teased.

Her cheeks went slightly red as she mumbled, "Shut up, I've been so good about this, hon, you know it."

Although he was tempted to point out that she'd almost squandered this opportunity for the sake of spending time with George, he chose to tactfully omit this. As the two of them stood there, the sound of distant cheering floated in to which both of them sighed; although this was essential, it was a little sad to be missing this once in a lifetime chance.

"How long do you reckon we have?" He asked.

She gave a shrug, "No clue, hon. I think Ron, your brother and Harry, the four-eyed little git who just had to be in the - "

"Hey, Harry's alright," Fred said quickly, "He has glasses but the rest was unnecessarily harsh."

"And we have magic! He could do something about the glasses if he wanted to," She replied, giving him a bizarre look, "Anyway, what was I saying? Look what you made me do, I lost my chain of thought."

"Something about Harry and Ron."

"Oh yeah, they were talking about dragons to me and George so I reckon dragons are involved," Aubrey replied, "Next time, hon, we should really figure this out beforehand. Maybe grill Angela on it or bribe her to actually tell us rather than do that thing she always does where she mentions a secret but then won't tell it."

"I've noticed that actually," Fred replied, "Why does she do that?"

Aubrey shrugged, "Me and Kenny tried to figure it out once but couldn't, unsolved mystery. Anyway, we need to stop talking about them and get on with the task, hon. We have a limited amount of time here so we need to use it."

"Alright," Fred replied, "Same as last time?"

"Search randomly in the hopes that we find it?" She replied.

"I s'pose that's the only way," Fred replied and the two got to it. Aubrey felt an awful sense of Deja Vu and annoyingly, the intense desire to go to sleep like last time; it was very inconvenient really, she'd slept over in the library one time and now she had a taste for it.

After about five minutes, their pace had slowed down tremendously. Eventually Fred said what they were both thinking, "I forgot how bloody boring this is."

She sighed, "I know, but it's the only way."

Although his work ethic actually seemed to be quite strong, he slumped down against the bookcase and she whipped around.

"Fred! Get up, hon, we have work," She snapped, "You were so up for it before."

"Yeah but then I started doing it and hate it," He replied, sighing slightly, "There must be a quicker way."

"There probably is," She replied dryly, rolling her eyes before turning away again, "Reckon it's lurking in plain view and in ten years time we'll realise it was under our nose the whole time - "