Chapter Sixty Five

When Aubrey had started the day, she'd envisioned it ending with a sweet yet triumphant celebration involving Firewhisky, Fred at her sight as well as a freed George and Lexy to add to the fun. Instead, she was sitting around outside Dumbledore's office, the old man having promised to explain everything. However, he'd quickly been summoned, promptly disappearing for half an hour before returning with Harry and then leaving once more. She was beginning to think he'd never get round to it and she'd be waiting until old age.

Ludo's rescue had been chaotic and quick, grabbing her wrist and apparating her to Hogsmeade before telling her they'd underestimated the situation and he needed to return. Feeling a little dazed and stunned, she'd wandered into the nearest shop and had promptly been escorted back to the castle by several villagers, in a scarily militant manner. Nobody had spoken as they'd walked which had given her time to try and figure out what she'd just witnessed, all the events swirling around her mind chaotically.

She'd heard what the Imposter had said at the Graveyard but didn't want to believe it. The man was deluded, she told herself, perhaps he'd simply been imagining the return of one of the Greatest Wizards of all time. Still, she could deny it all she wanted but it made sense with what she'd heard, his constant talk of being the greatest servant and traitors. But it felt like there were pieces missing to the puzzle leaving her with the one thing she hated most: the unknown. 

Somehow, Dumbledore seemed to have a sixth sense for restlessness it seemed; just as she was about to get up and leave, the old man returned, a grave look on his face. This ignited some worry in her so he quickly forced his face into a cheery grin which only succeeded in scaring her more.

"Sorry for having kept you waiting."

"I was getting worried something else had gone wrong," She replied.

"Well, there is grave reason to be worried I'm afraid, the Ministry is, as usual, being somewhat ... troublesome," Dumbledore said, "Although I expect you know that from your parents."

"Believe me I do, hon," She said, drumming her fingers against the wall, "I'm sorry, this isn't the time but have you seen Fred? What happened to him after he got my note?"

"Mr Weasley certainly played an extraordinary part in your rescue," Dumbledore replied, muttering his password as the Eagle revolved up to reveal stairs, "Come this way. And rest assured, Fred is doing well. He was incredibly worried for your safety and when I last heard of him, he was asleep on Lee Jordan's shoulder in the lower corridor by the Herbology classrooms."

She looked back uncertainly as they began to climb up the stairs, "He was a huge part of this too, shouldn't you wait before explaining it?"

"I say we let him sleep for now. I trust you can explain it to him better than I in the morning and if he has any questions, I shall be more than happy to answer them," Dumbledore replied. His words suddenly sent a ripple of concern through her and she stopped dead. Dumbledore noticed this, halting moments after and turning to look down on her, "Aubrey?"

"How do I know this is you?" Dumbledore's eyes drifted down to her fingers which were balled up so hard, her nails painfully dug into her palm, " I know first hand that people aren't always who they appear."

For a moment Dumbledore appeared confused before nodding, "I understand, Polyjuice potion and a rather acute case of mind switching - "

At this, she stumbled back, "You're not you ... how could you know that? If you knew why didn't you help us?"

"Aubrey, please, I can assure you I am," He said, extending a hand towards her as she backed up against the wall, "I only found out a mere half an hour ago when they brought Barty Crouch Jr. in - "