Chapter Fifty Nine

After the initial excitement of switching back had drained away, Aubrey was starting to see that life was still just as hard as before. As usual, the universe seemed to be enjoying tormenting her so much that she was beginning to wonder if this was karma for something. She had a vague memory of biting her older sister, Cynthia's hand once for hogging the Garlic bread so perhaps that was it.

Fred seemed to have found it ridiculously easy to get used to his own body which was irritating seeing as Aubrey hadn't. The height issue was easily solved with the help of Angela's vast heeled boots collection but it seemed that was the least of her worries. She continually found herself walking into Charms earning herself many curious glowers yet this paled in comparison to the catastrophe of curls...

Under Fred's loving care, her hair had flourished but now it was back with her, all signs of cooperation had disappeared. What was once a beautifully braided masterpiece had become a bird's nest once more. If she had more time, perhaps she would have ventured into the scary territory of Sleakeazy but at the moment they had bigger problems on their hands...

People said that multi-tasking was a woman's forté but perhaps being in a man's body for the last few months had made her worse at it. It felt near impossible to trail after Lexy at all waking moments, outwardly follow Mad-Eye's orders so he didn't get suspicious and plan how to take him down ... near impossible, that is. Aubrey was beginning to think she'd not only gained select telepathy but also superpowers when they'd switched back as somehow they were both managing it, even if her sleep hours had dwindled from a solid six to three (if she was lucky).

The telepathy with Fred was the main thing keeping her going. Not just because it was keeping Mad-Eye at bay but also due to the fact it made her laugh (at albeit random moments) and meant she actually had someone to talk to, even if his amusing ramblings often came just as she was heading to bed.

Sadly, this appeared to be the biggest silver lining so far as on top of all her other problems, they were still as clueless as before at how to take down Mad-Eye. Their options had been even more restricted now that George and Lexy were potential leverage too. A week had gone by and Aubrey felt as if she'd been treading water, trying her hardest to progress but going nowhere.

In the evenings, Mad-Eye usually instructed them to head to their respective common rooms so Aubrey found herself spending a lot of time with a half-conscious Lexy and Fred's voice in her mind. Whilst it was good as she could keep an eye on her friend, she was hardly the best conversationalist.

"So ... Lexy, good Charms lesson?" Aubrey asked as the two girls sat cross-legged on either end of the sofa. Both girls had textbooks laid out in front of them; Aubrey's being a book of possibly helpful spells whilst Lexy had picked a strange book on plants that she must have selected at random.

For a few moments, Lexy sat completely still before nodding, "Yes."

"Oh, yeah, hon? What was the best part?"

Lexy 'thought' long and hard before firmly replying, "Roger's hair and the adjoining body."

Even though seeing her friend like this was deeply upsetting, Aubrey spluttered with laughter due to her tired state, "Good to know, Lexy," The brief burst of happiness suddenly faded, "That's ... yeah, good to know."

"We should really carry on studying," Lexy laughed out of place, "We have a test in class tomorrow and my Mum will hex me if I fail!"

"Lex, hon, your Mum's a muggle," She murmured.