17

Waking up the next morning wasn't easy. You managed to open your eyes, but they were so sore from crying the night before.

When you looked around your surroundings, Kurapika was no where to be found. Seems like him to rush off without even telling you where he's going.

You let out a loud sigh. Looking over outside the window, you squinted your eyes. The sunlight sure was beaming brightly into the room this morning. At least that was a good start off to the day, despite what you'll have to be doing later.

It took every ounce out of you to get up...but you managed to some how. Your feet pattered against the chilly floor to the bathroom. Maybe a shower was needed.  Or maybe even a bath. They really relaxed you a lot of the time. Just how the hot water soothes your body made you feel instantly better.

On the way to the bathroom though, you spotted a note on the side table next to the exit door of your room. You tilted your head as curiosity filled you. You picked it up and smiled.

As if on cue, Kurapika walked through the door with his head down

As if on cue, Kurapika walked through the door with his head down. He looked almost like a mom with his car keys in his hand, room key in the other, and a bag slinging just off of his arm.

He didn't notice you at first, but when he did, he smiled.

"Good morning." He gently spoke. He kicked off his shoes and placed all of his things on a nearby chair. He suddenly pulled his bag off of his arm and reached into it, revealing a blueberry muffin and some coffee. "I grabbed a little something for you." He handed you the muffin and coffee easily.

"Pfft. Thanks." You smiled only a bit. Just the little things he did for you made your heart melt. It's the small things that count.

You gripped your fingers around the coffee tightly. The warmth made your hands feel all nice and comfy. You looked downwards, watching your toes fiddle together. You've never been this awkward around Kurapika before. Or this quiet.

"Um...I'm going to take a shower."

Kurapika's face showed that he was confused and taken aback.

"Ahh...alright." He watched as you walked past him without even making eye contact.

You walked to the bathroom, taking a quick peek at Kurapika right before closing the door softly. You sighed as you pressed your back against the door.

"God. How am I going to help him if I'm going to continue acting like a whiny baby?" You felt tears prick in the corners of your eyes. You slapped your hands against your cheeks harshly. "Get a grip (Y/n)! Kurapika loves you, and you love him! You have to show him that'll you'll help him no matter what!"

That much was true. But you couldn't ignore the high sake of dying.

That kept infiltrating your mind, and you couldn't shake the feeling. It's not like Kurapika was going to make you stay in a dangerous situation, right? He'd find a way to get out of the situation safely if anything bad happens!

He wouldn't dare put the one he loves most into a an affair like that. Right!?

Ugh.

It's not like you could stress about it any longer.

Turning the shower nob and stepping into the warm shower was very easy. And the water ran down your back soothingly.  It felt as if all of your stresses were being washed away.

"Hey, (Y/n)?" Kurapika suddenly called through the closed door after tapping little knocks against it.

"Hm?" You responded, scrubbing shampoo into your hair.

"You really don't have to go along with this. It was partially my fault. I practically dragged you into this without considering how you really felt. Pardon that. That was an awful thing of me to do. Inexcusable."

"Hey, Kurapika, the doors unlocked. Peek in here for a moment."

There was silence on the other side for a few seconds.

"(Y-y/n)!?"

"I'm behind the shower curtain. It's fine." You giggled.

You heard the hotels bathroom door open slowly and timidly.

"Err... what is it? Wouldn't you prefer to be alone? After all that's part of the reason you decided to come in here, yes?"

"It was more of me being awkward after you witnessing me cry like a little kid last night haha. I'm fine now. I'm just really scared though Kurapika. How do you do this?"

"Do what precisely? Are you meaning about being a Hunter?"

"Yes! Exactly! How do you go about your day like you're not terrified?"

"I've grown used to it." Kurapika added a little laugh at the end. "It's not about fear anymore. It's about doing what I can achieve to protect others from ugly fates."

The hot bathroom was filled with steam flowing around every corner. You didn't know how Kurapika could stand it in there with you, but at least you two were talking through it all together.

You thanked him for being the best, and helping you calm down the overall anxiety and fear you were feeling at that very moment.

'Geez. I love him.'