Broken Beads

Destiny; ''Sometimes the most problematic one is the most wanted one.''

Sam frantically searched for her ringing phone in her messed up room. She picked up few things and groaned when couldn't find her phone. It stopped and started ringing again, Sam pulled her hair and concentrated on the sound. Launching towards the couch she smiled locating her phone hiding in the corner of the couch. She glanced at the name, taking a deep breath she answered, ''Yes Badi Ma.''

''Sam, it had been 2 months since you last visited us. And what is the need for you stay in a small apartment when you have your parents and mansion in the same city.''

Sam rolled her eyes, ''Family, really? A family keeps the heart of their own, mine decided to crush mine and of the other girl too.'' There was silence on the other side and Sam waited for Nandini to say something. She heard a deep breath and then came Nandini's voice, ''Sam, we are your parents. We care for you. It pains to see you drifting away from us like that.''

''Pain. How ironic badi ma, we never flinch inflicting it on others and yet we expect others too understand ours. Can you measure the pain you inflicted on Radhika, your condition took away her parents her family and why? Because her family died, she escaped the death then and became an ill omen. An ill omen just because she survived. 

Nandini was quite and Sam added, ''Guess what badi ma, I an ill omen too. I survived the accident my parents didn't.'' With that she disconnected. Sam wiped her eyes. She had moved out the day Arjun had informed her about Radhika's decision. She couldn't stay in the mansion knowing that her parents were responsible for inflicting the pain on Radhika. She stared at the ceiling for minute, giving time to her tears dry. Huffing she whispered, ''Where are you Cinderella? Come back.''

***

''AD is only one you care for, right? Me and Prerna are no one, just adoptive parents.'' Nihal asked Radhika. She took his hand into hers, ''Dad, if I didn't care I wouldn't have come to you. I don't want you or Mom to live in pain of me going missing. But I am tired dad, too tired to fight more, to be labelled as an ill omen. I am tired of people walking in and out of my life at their comfort. It pains to leave you, but it pains more to watch Neil breaking every day. Please dad, let me go for my sanity'' She broke down dropping on her knees, her palms joined together.

Nihal watched her little shocked. He knew past few days had taken toll  on her. Navya's kidnap had brought all blame to her. Sanjay had told Police that Saral had tried harming Sam too, but failed. Radhika found all blames being thrown at her, and now Neil's broken engagement had left her shaken. He gently pulled her up to her feet. Nihal brought her to his chest, ''Wherever you go, remember one thing. You are my daughter and I love you a lot.'' Radhika sobbed hiding her face in Nihal's chest. ''And I love you Dad, more than AD.'' He chuckled.

''You have a week, finish all you want to.'' She nodded.

Radhika opened her eyes coming back to future as the alarm went off. Though, she was already awake she didn't feel like stepping out of her house. It was too cold today, it had been snowing for 2 days and weather report predicted snow storm. She missed the tropical weather back at Mumbai, yet she chose to stay this place. She wanted something to turn her numb to all the pain she carried for months. But now, it felt that nothing could freeze the feelings that tormented her. Her phone beeped, it was a message from her boss. She was in her last semester and had joined one of Nihal's friend as trainee architect. She threw her blanket moving out to the window. Wiping the thin sheen of moisture she smiled finding the sun shinning brightly. She had landed In US almost 8 months back , leaving her family her friends and her love behind. But she missed them all. Radhika moved to her cupboard and pulled out her clothes to get ready. Her eyes fell on the little teddy that Neil gave her to pacify her once during their stay in London. She recalled how she would curse him when he would force her to leave the bed in winters. She would demand wired things and he would full fill it. He even gave her a piggy back ride when she would whine like a child. She missed him. She picked the soft toy and hugged it. She did that every morning. She smiled looking at smiling teddy, ''I miss you and I am sorry AD.''