I.

Jovaughn, Andre, Malik, Demetrius, and Rashad sat in silence and gave each other death glares and side eyes. The boys had been given detention for a week due to an altercation that happened hours prior in the cafeteria.

"This is all your fault," Andre glared over at Rashad.

"You don't even know me," Rashad said and got up to get in his face.

The two boys stood eye to eye, waiting to see who was going to make the first move.

"Calm down bros," Malik said, standing in between them, "This is no one's fault."

Rashad and Andre weren't going to back down. Andre clenched his jaw and balled up his fist. He drew his arm back, about to strike, when Jovaughn jumped up and pulled him back.

"Don't," he said, "This is exactly what they want us to do. Detention is the first step in the school to prison pipeline."

"Facts," Malik chimed in which caused all the boys to share a laugh.

"Man get off me," Andre sucked his teeth and snatched his arm from Joey's grip, "This is still his fault."

"Then what's up?" Rashad held his fists up.

Andre charged towards him only to be pulled back by Malik and Joey.

"Yall need to chill out," Demetrius finally spoke up, "This is just a minor inconvenience."

The other boys glanced his way then rolled their eyes.

The classroom door opened and the boys quickly went to sit down. The principal, Dr. Thomas, entered and took a seat on the desk in front of the class.

"Now, who is going to tell me why my cafeteria is covered in pizza and mashed potatoes?" she asked.

Earlier That Day

"Excuse me Queen," Rashad approached a girl in the lunch line, "I just had to come over to get a better look at your beautiful Nubian skin."

She looked him up and down then rolled her eyes.

"Boy bye." she waved him off then turned around to talk to her friends.

"That's no way to talk to your king," he said then grabbed her hand.

"Get off me," she yelled which made Andre and some people turn around.

"Aye man," Andre said, "Just leave the girl alone."

"Or what?" Rashad approached Andre.

A crowd of nosey students began to form around the two.

"Back up," Andre said sternly then pushed Rashad.

Demetrius walked pass the scene, minding his business, when Rashad bumped in to him which caused his tray to fly over to the closest table and land on Joey. Joey stood up and wiped the pizza grease off his cheek.

"Who threw this?" he yelled and held up the now cold slice of pizza.

Demetrius held his head low in hopes that no one would point him out.

"Food fight!" Malik yelled after throwing a handful of mashed potatoes.

Shortly after, the entire cafeteria erupted into chaos. Pizza flew in every direction, floors were coated in milk, and walls were covered with vegetables.

"Man, that's not even what happened!" Rashad blurted out.

The boys spent an hour trying to explain what happened but they couldn't get the story straight. Each time someone said something, an argument broke out.