XXVIII.

"So, you've been hanging out with Alice a lot lately," I said to my best friend CJ while he smiled at his phone

"You've been hanging out with Shayla a lot lately," he replied.

"Nah," I sighed, "She not talking to me like that anymore."

Ever since the Rashad incident, Shayla hasn't spoken to me or her other friends. I get that she's mad about what he tweeted but now she's doing too much. I'm not going to chase after someone who keeps pushing me away. Even if she is super pretty and smart... and she makes me smile.

"Alice said that would happen," CJ chuckled but I didn't find anything funny, "She said Shayla like to lure guys in then randomly stops talking to them. Alice thinks she lowkey has a girlfriend at another school."

My eyes widened at what he just said. Shayla is not gay, Alice is just mad at her right now and trying to start drama.

"So what's going on with you too?" I asked, trying to change the subject. I'm sick of hearing Shayla's name.

CJ and Alice have gotten very close since the winter dance last month.

"We're just talking right now. I'm trying to be more but she's not allowed to date and she said her parents wouldn't go for her being with a white guy."

"But you're not white."

CJ is Italian which is white. But he's not white white. He's more like extra light skin... white with a pinch of paprika.

"That's what I said! But I'm also not Muslim."

"I didn't know she's Muslim. Why doesn't she wear that head wrap thing?"

CJ shrugged, "I never asked."

The bell rang, ending our free period. Me and CJ did our handshake then parted ways.

While walking down the hallway, I spotted Shayla talking to some girl and rolled my eyes. Why am I so caught up on her when other girls have been giving me more attention since I dropped my first mixtape over winter break.

▼▲▼

After a long day at school, I went straight home and was greeted by my moms all hugged up on the couch. I walked past them, disgusted by their unconditional love, into the kitchen to grab a snack before I start my homework.

"What's wrong with you?" Ma asked and sat on the island.

"Nothing," I replied, "Why?"

"You came in the house and didn't say anything to me or your momma. And you're home early."

"Ma, I'm fine just tired."

She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head, examining me.

"What'd that little girl do?" she questioned and I took a step back.

"What are you talking about?" I laughed nervously.

"I was right about her little light bright self. Michelle, I told you!" Ma rambled on then momma came into the kitchen, "That girl did something to our baby."

"Slow down. What's going on?" she asked.

"Ma gave me a weird look then started spazzing."

Momma walked over to me with the same expression the lifted my chin. She chuckled then handed Ma a dollar.

"Told ya so," she snatched the dollar then left the kitchen.

"I'm confused."

"Your mom said Shayla was going to do you dirty so we made a bet and by the pitiful look on your face, she did something."

"Yall are weird," I said then stomped off to my room.

I really liked Shayla and I don't know where I went wrong but its time to move on.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading!

don't forget to comment and vote ✨