XXIV.

Rashad rests his head against the passenger window, watching the raindrops race each other down the glass, as his uncle sped through traffic while yelling over the morning news which played in the background. The previous night, Rashad stayed up to complete his essay at the last minute. He would've gotten it done sooner but his uncle sent him around town, running errands, to learn "responsibility."

Now, Rashad is headed to school late with an incomplete essay, which is nothing new.

"Next time, you're walking. I don't give a damn if its raining or a snowstorm," his uncle said through gritted teeth then sped off in his rusty green pickup truck.

After getting his late slip, Rashad walked through the empty hallway with his navy blue hood hanging lowly, covering most of his face. He held his black umbrella in one hand while scrolling through his phone with the other.

He approached his locker then twisted in his combination. As usual, his lock got stuck which caused him to let out a long sigh. Rashad dropped his umbrella and backpack on the ground then pulled out a black pen. He skillfully placed the pen in the locker's sweet spot to unlock it.

"Hey!" a school officer yelled and Rashad sucked his teeth while continuing his effort to pop the locker.

He approached Rashad with a hand tightly gripping his walkie-talkie, "Stop breaking into that locker!"

Rashad groaned then turned to face the officer.

"This my --"

The officer quickly rushed at Rashad, tackling him to the ground. Rashad used all his strength to push the man off but failed.

"Get off!" Rashad struggled.

Then the officer placed his forearm on Rashad's neck to restrain him while using his other hand to try and grab the walkie-talkie.

Once again, Rashad tried to break free but he was met with two punches to the mouth. Slowly, Rashad found it harder to breathe as tears rolled down the sides of his face.

Then everything went black.

▼▲▼

She was the most beautiful woman in the world. Her long locs would sway from side to side whenever she walked. I always wanted hair like hers. She said we'd start my locs once I start high school but then she was taken.

She'd tell me I was the most handsome boy in the world, even if I did look like my "irresponsible daddy."

She was my everything.

I just miss her.

Maybe its time to join her,

in the clouds.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading!

don't forget to comment what you think so far and vote ✨