XXVII.

"I heard about what happened at your school a few days ago," my mom entered my room then sat on the bed

"Me and some of my friends are organizing a rally," I told her.

"That sounds great sweetie," she smiled, "I can get some of my people to help out. Maybe we can raise some money for the legal fees. I know that boy's mama wants to sue..."

I listened to my mom go on and on about everything we needed to do to properly organize the rally. My mom lives for injustice. She literally thrives off it. Like, if racism wasn't a thing, I don't think she'd survive. Sometimes I wish she'd give me the same amount of attention that she gives the rest of the black kids in the community. 

"Okay ma, I got it," I said, trying to get her out my room.

"I can't wait to do this with you Joey. It's going to be just like the good old days with me and your dad," she cheered then left the room.

I don't know about this.

▼▲▼

The Next Day

This morning, my mom decided to call the school about the rally so now I have a meeting with Dr. Thomas.

"Now Jovaughn, you do understand that all of this is still under investigation?"

"I understand that a staff member put a student in the hospital and he's still here," I responded.

She sighed, "I can't let you hold your rally on school grounds. The school has to remain impartial during the investigation."

"But Dr. Thom--"

"Not on school grounds," she winked, "Have a great day Mr. White," she dismissed.

I walked out of her office very upset. Rashad is in the hospital and she doesn't care. This doesn't make any sense.

"So what's she say?" Tiana asked, standing outside the office.

"She said no," I sighed.

We walked toward the cafeteria while trying to come up with a new plan. 

"All she said was no? Dr. Thomas seems so cool though."

"She said that there is still an investigation so we can't hold it on school grounds."

Tiana stopped walking and turned to face me. 

"Dummy," she punched my arm super hard.