XXIII.

The Dance

Washington High's gymnasium was filled to capacity with sweaty teenagers grinding on each other as the latest trap song by Lil Whatever blasted through the speakers. Some of the too cool for school boys remained posted up, in their sagging name brand jeans, taking in the scene of young girls singing along while flipping their hair to the beat. Teachers and parents stood along the walls of the gym on the look out for any inappropriate behavior.

Alice maneuvered through the crowded gym to make sure everyone was having a good time while doing her best to avoid Joey and Tiana who took pictures of couples and gathered quotes for the magazine.

Shayla and Malik entered, hand in hand, then started to mingle with their peers. Malik wore his vintage powder blue cable knit sweater which happened to match Shayla's signature blue braids that she wore in a bun. From across the gym, Shayla noticed Alice staring at her with a scowl and folded arms.

They've been ignoring one another since the huge argument and Shayla has no desire to ammend their friendship, though she does feel bad about how everything happened. Alice, on the other hand, misses her friend but she still isn't over how Shayla treats her. Ever since they became friends, Alice has always been in Shayla's shadow, whether it's creativity or getting attention from boys. This is why Alice has decided to keep her distance from her old friend and make a name for herself abscent of Shayla.

"Let's go get some snacks," Shayla dragged Malik towards a table to get out of Alice's line of vision.

Andre leaned against the wall with a slight frown as Chase showed off his best dance moves while surrounded by a group of girls. Chase is always the life of a party with his charming nature and charisma. He's a pro at making all the ladies swoon but too bad he has no interest in any of them. Usually, Chase and Andre are an ustoppable tag team on the dance floor but tonight Andre hasn't moved from the wall since arriving.

"Why aren't you dancing with your friend?" Justice approached him in a skin tight white dress, showing off her pear-shaped body.

"I'm just not feeling it," he sighed.

"What's wrong?" she wrapped her arms around his waist and looked up at him through her long eyelashes.

"I have a lot going on right now," Andre looked down at her then twirled a strand of Justice's hair around his finger.

Lately, Andre has been stressing himself out about what he's going to do after high school. He's looked up career possibilities like his mom suggested but became overwhelmed. The only reason he's at the dance is because he paid for a ticket and didn't want to waste his money.

"Come on Dre," she grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the dance floor, "You can worry about all that later."

A few seconds later, Andre gave in to Justice, pushing away all his depressing thoughts about the future.

Rashad and Stephanie swayed back and forth in each other's arms, ignoring the fast pace song that was playing in the background. Since making their relationship official three days ago, the two have been inseparable. Some might say it's quite disgusting seeing them so wrapped up in each other.

"You look angry," CJ said then took a seat beside Alice who sat with arms crossed and a scrunched up face.

Alice rolled her eyes at the boy then turned away from him.