XXXII.

It's my first day back and I can already feel the eyes following me as I walk down the hallway

It's my first day back and I can already feel the eyes following me as I walk down the hallway. Everyone was looking at me. Pity stares and whispers came from every corner. The officer that beat me up was moved to another school but I still felt uneasy as I placed my finger tips on the locker dial. I turned it to the first number and my hand began to tremble.

What comes next?

I couldn't remember my combination. It's only been three weeks.

"Rashad," someone squealed as arms wrapped around my torso from behind.

I jumped and quickly turned with my hands up then realized it was Stephanie.

"Did I scare you? OMG, I'm so sorry. I should've known," she rambled quickly.

"I'm fine," I smiled then pulled her in for a kiss.

The bell rang and we parted ways. I walked to my first class with the wandering eyes still in tow. I wish people would mind their business.

"Well I heard he had a knife," a girl told her friend as I walked past.

"I wish I'd had a knife to protect myself. Black people have to always be ready because you never know when the white man is going to attack," I looked back at the girl then entered my class.

I'll give everyone a week then this whole thing will die down.

▼▲▼

I sat in then all white room with huge windows that showed the busy streets in the city as the A&R lady talked to Ma about a record deal

"Your son is very talented and we'd love to have him join the family," she said.

This is such a great opportunity for me. The label reached out to me after one of my songs went kind of viral and I'm just ready to sign a deal. I've worked so hard for this and it's finally about to pay off.

"He doesn't need a label," ma said and I raised an eyebrow at her.

"What are you talking about? You know how bad I want this," I pleaded.

"Ma'am just take a look at the contract. You all don't have to make a decision right now," the A&R slid the paper across the table then left the room.

Ma snatched the paper, "I don't trust that woman," she said while scanning the document, "Look at this, a 250k advance."

"That's lit!"

"No it ain't boy," she slapped the back of my head, "That just means you're gonna owe these people $250,000."

She's being dramatic as usual.

"So let's just negotiate with them. I don't see the issue."

"Of course you don't. Let's go," she grabbed her purse from the table and threw the contract in the trash on the way out.

I frowned as I followed her out the fancy glass doors to the car. I'm not even going to argue with her right now. I know she's looking out for me but damn.

"You'll thank me later," she smiled, "And you need to be thinking about school anyway. It's February and you haven't mentioned anything about college."

"Whatever," I mumbled.

I don't want to go to college but I'll never tell my moms that. Music is in my future. I applied to some small schools but I don't want to go. This record label opportunity was supposed to be my way out.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if my birth parents didn't give me up. Would I still rap? Did my skills come from them? Would they support a record deal? It's times like this where I feel like my moms don't get me.

When we got home I went straight to my room and shut the door. I threw myself on the bed and drowned out my thoughts with the sounds of the golden era until I fell asleep.

"Malik, honey wake up," momma lightly tapped me, "I heard about what happened."

"I don't want to talk about it," I turned away from her.

She sighed then I heard my door softly shut.

Maybe I'll be like Chance the Rapper and do it with no label. Or I'll wait until I'm eighteen and sign the contract myself.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading!

sorry i haven't updated in a while. i'm trying to graduate college early so i've taken on a huge course load and haven't had time to write. i appreciate your funny comments and thanks for being patient!

whose pov should i do next?

don't forget to comment and vote