IV.

Day 3

Day 3

"Bro, take my picture in front of this. It'll be perfect for the flyer," I said to my best friend CJ who is also my photographer.

We were in the bathroom looking at the graffiti on the wall that the entire school had been buzzing about all day. When I got to the bathroom I understood why. Above the urinals, someone painted Reverse Racism isn't Real in bright orange cursive with yellow accents. Lately, a lot of graffiti was popping up around school saying some wild stuff and I've been obsessing over who the artist was. Nobody knows.

"Alright, do something cool," CJ said. 

I decided to squat in front of the urinal and do my cool guy rapper face. After a few more frames, the bell rang and we left the bathroom.

"I'll text you the flyer when I'm done," CJ said then we parted ways.

I'm having a listening party tomorrow night for my mixtape before I officially drop it. I've wanted to be a rapper since I first heard Nas and Lauryn Hill on If I Ruled the World when I was thirteen. My mind was blown.

They just don't make good lyrical hip hop anymore. Rap isn't meaningful like it was in the 80s and 90s. Now, every rapper has colorful hair with tattoos on their face and the music is about materialism. But I'm going to change all of that. I like to consider myself a conscious rapper with a lot of old school influences. My moms like to say I'm stuck in the 90s but I think I just have an old soul.

I entered the detention room and sat in my usual seat. The tension in the room is so apparent and its crazy. But its only between Andre and Rashad. Those guys hate each other which makes sense. Rashad is a jerk and Andre is full of himself.

"Alright everyone this is Shayla and she is joining our detention sessions."

I looked up from my phone and stared at the caramel girl with big round eyes and long blue box braids.

"You want to introduce yourself?" Dr. Thomas asked.

"Nope," Shayla plainly said then walked away.

My eyes followed her as she went to take a seat near the door.

"Shayla is here because she doesn't seem to understand that paint does not belong on school walls."

It's her?

"My parents pay property taxes so technically the walls belong to the people, therefore, I can do what I want," Shayla spoke effortlessly and Dr. Thomas looked shocked.

This is about to be good.

"You should be happy I fought for you to not be suspended. Save the attitude."

"I don't care. Detention is part of the school to prison pipeline anyway so what good are you really doing?"

This girl is quick.

"That's what I said," Joey spoke.

"Here we go with this again," Andre sighed and the quiet boy next to him let out a laugh.

"Well since it is very clear that you all don't agree with how students are disciplined, let's make a circle and discuss some alternatives."

Everyone got up and shifted their desks. Shayla, on the other hand, remained in her seat and I watched as her black pen scribbled furiously on a paper.

She held up the paper which said, I am silently protesting,  written beautifully in cursive.

"That's fine but I still want you to join the circle," Dr. Thomas said.

Shayla rolled her eyes then dragged her feet as she walked over and sat next to me.

After an hour filled with arguments, eye rolls, laughter, and Shayla's signs, its safe to say we didn't come up with any alternatives. The only good thing was that CJ finally texted me the flyer.

"Before we go I wanted to tell yall I'm having a party tomorrow and I want everyone to come," I said while standing in front of the class.

"I'm down," Andre said and a few others nodded.

Everyone gave me their numbers but Shayla.

"I guess you don't want to come," I said before she could get too far.

"Come where?"

"To my party."

"So that's what you were talking about. I turned my ears off as soon as you stood up. Sorry."

Well, that's not what I expected her to say.

"But I guess I can come to your party," she smiled, "Can I bring my friends?"

"Of course. Give me your number so I can text you the location."

I handed Shayla my phone and stared at her paint covered hands as she typed. That's probably how they caught her.

"See you tomorrow. And make sure you tell the DJ to play some Lil Kim for me," she said then walked away.

 And make sure you tell the DJ to play some Lil Kim for me," she said then walked away

The Angry Black Feminist. Shayla Johnson is a blunt liberal goddess who uses her art to challenge the system. She is not here for anything that is Eurocentric and won't hesitate to explain why white women are the worst people in the United States. Don't start an argument with her because youll probably lose.

▲▼▲

don't forget to comment and vote ✨