XV.

Shayla sat next to me in the computer lab during our lunch period, going off about how this white girl tried her today and all I could do was watch as her blue braids swayed as she rolled her neck

Shayla sat next to me in the computer lab during our lunch period, going off about how this white girl tried her today and all I could do was watch as her blue braids swayed as she rolled her neck. She was supposed to be teaching me how to use photoshop.

"...and that's why white women are evil," she finished but I completely missed everything she just said.

"Wait, what? I kind of zoned out."

"Of course you did Mal, you always in la la land," she laughed, "I was basically saying that white women are evil because they think that since they experience sexism they, can't be guilty of being oppressors which is absurd."

"That's interesting but don't you think calling all white women evil is a bit much?"

She rolled her eyes and took a deep breath. I think I just set her off.

"They are evil! White women have a track record of being disgustingly immoral. During slavery, white women would rape enslaved men. Then, during Jim Crow, black men were killed for simply looking at white women. You know Emmitt Till?" she asked and I nodded, "That bitch admitted that she lied while on her deathbed and I hope she's having a terrible time in hell. And don't get me started on these little white college girls accusing black athletes of rape then suddenly changing their minds."

My mind is blown.

"White women are the most dangerous people in America. They hold so much power and act like they're oppressed and white men will always run to protect them."

"You need to write a book or something. That was deep."

"Joey asked me to join his magazine. He said I'd get my own column to write about whatever I want."

"You should do it," I encouraged her.

Every time I hang out with Shayla, I learn something new. Like last week she told me that slavery is still legal and exists in the US. I'm still trying to process how that is possible. History books really do lie.

"I'm still thinking about that. You know how hard it is for me to commit to things but enough about my angry black girl rants, lets work on your website."

Shayla is really tech savvy. She has designed my logo, edited a few photos, and made some flyers. And she's helping me with my social media presence.

I kind of have a small crush on her but I'm pretty sure she doesn't feel the same. I heard she has a boyfriend or something like that but she's never mentioned anyone. I'm not even sure if I genuinely like her or if it's just because she's been so helpful. Once I figure out my feelings, I'll know whether to ask her to the winter formal in two weeks.

"Hey, Demetrius right?" someone said from behind me while I sat in the cafeteria eating with Alice

I turned around and saw that it was Chase.

"How are you feeling?" he asked while taking a seat in front of me.

"I'm still sore but thanks for stepping in and helping me."

"No problem," he smiled and showed his straight, white teeth.

"Sorry Chase but we can't associate with you. Our loyalty lies with Ravyn," Alice joked and the two started playfully going back and forth while I laughed.

I've never really looked at Chase before. He had tawny beige skin and a little bit of stubble around his jaw and chin which made him look kind of tough. He's definitely not bad looking.

"Don't you work at the skate shop?" Chase turned to face me.

"Uh..." I was caught off guard and my mouth became dry, as usual. I felt my heart rate pick up and my palms grew slimy.

I'm a mess.

▼▲▼

The Tree Hugger

The Tree Hugger. When he's not on the court, you'll probably find Chase Bennett wherever there if greenery. He's vegan because he loves animals too much to eat them. Chase is an environmentalist and won't hesitate to tell you that you're killing the planet.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading!

don't forget to comment, vote and recycle