XIV.

"Ravyn," Chase said dully

"Chase," she looked him up and down.

We just got out of a quick practice and were headed to study hall. Last weekend, the team won our first away game so we're undefeated and coach was in a good mood and took it easy on us.

"Your presence annoys me," Chase rolled his eyes at her.

"And your dry hair frustrated me," Ravyn clapped back then pulled me away so we could go study.

"Mrs. E gave me some practice problems so we can work on them," she handed me the sheet of paper and my mind shut off as soon as I looked at the first problem.

I'm going to be in the NBA so I don't understand how any of this is going to help. School needs to offer classes about money management. I mean, I'm going to make millions one day so I rather know how to spot when someone is stealing my money.

"You look clueless," Ravyn giggled, "Let's do this together.

After an hour of my frustration and Ravyn's patience, I got the work done and I have a decent understanding.

"You have to let me get you a burger or pizza or something, you've been really helpful," I said while walking her to her car.

"I'm vegan."

"For real?" So is Chase. We go to this vegan spot all the time. Let me take you there."

"We'll see," she said then hopped in her car and drove off.

▼▲▼

"What you smiling about boy?" my dad asked as soon as I walked in the house.

"Nothing, dad," I shook my head, "It's nothing," I responded then headed to the basement with him following me.

After my parents got divorced, my mom moved out and my dad turned the basement into a gym. Every day after school, he trains me for about three hours which is why I'm failing calc but it's so I can be the best athlete so I'm not complaining. On the other hand, basketball is why they got divorced, at least I think that's why. My dad almost made it to the NBA but he got a career ending injury just before entering the draft. Now he is a middle school coach. My mom would always get mad at him for putting the game before her so she left. I live with my dad and visit my mom and eight-year-old sister occasionally because every time I see her, she tries to convince me to stop playing.

Basketball is my passion and I want to play for the rest of my life but there is that voice in the back of my mind saying I'll end up like dad. But this is something I want to do. I have no plan b.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading

don't forget to comment, vote, and punch a nazi ✨