VII.

Day 5

Day 5

I rolled my eyes while sitting in the SGA office listening to everyone argue over ideas for spirit week and the pep rally. The class president, Alice, is proof that women shouldn't hold leadership positions. The whole group was speaking over her and she clearly doesn't know how to maintain authority. If I was running the meeting, there would be no issue.

"Nice of you to finally join us," Alice said as Andre entered the office, late of course.

I've never liked that brother. Just seeing him makes my skin crawl yet girls always become weak whenever he comes around. I don't get it. All he can do is bounce a ball and put it in the hoop. No intellectual ability at all. Just a dumb jock.

"Sorry Alice, I had to talk to my math teacher about some stuff," Andre over shared, "Please don't tell Dr. Thomas. I can't do this detention thing anymore," he took a seat at the end of the conference table.

"Don't worry Dre, I got you," she smiled, "I was thinking that Malik should perform at the pep rally since his music has a 90s feel to go with Flashback Friday. What do yall think?"

Everyone started talking loudly, some people agreeing and others throwing out more ideas.

This is dumb.

"One at a time!" Joey, the fake deep coon, yelled and I laughed.

Another guy I can't stand. That boy swears he's Martin Luther King with his protests and sit ins but he's full of crap. I'm pretty sure he does it for attention just like his momma. That woman stays on tv talking about the latest case of police brutality or discrimination. The funniest thing is that the whole family loves to preach about unity and working with white people. They call them allies which is hilarious since white people have never been allies in the struggle for black liberation.

"What if we decorated the gym with graffiti and old school stuff," Shayla suggested, "I can make some stuff."

"I can help," Demetrius said softly.

He's definitely a homosexual. I mean, what straight man would wear a loose purple button up with daisies and pink converse that have green laces. He's going to be helping black people go extinct.

After about an hour of listening to everyone give stupid suggestions, Alice let us leave and I was relieved. I held my tongue for the entire meeting, mainly because the group seems to enjoy ganging up on me whenever I open my mouth and I can't deal with the negative energy anymore. Plus, this is the last day of detention so I no longer have to interact with those fools.

▼▲▼

I dragged my feet along the sidewalk while listening to a Dr. Umar Johnson interview. My sister said she was going to pick me up but she was late just like any other time I ask her for a ride. Days like this are when I start to think about my mom. She was killed in a drive-by when I was ten and I have no clue who my dad is. Now it's me and my older sister. My uncle Kareem took us in after our mom died and he's taught me a lot. Like how to be a strong black man.

Once I arrived home, I smiled after noticing my uncle's truck wasn't in the driveway. Every day after work, he likes to have a few beers then yell at me or Rasheeda. Whoever he sees first. He's gotten violent a few times but its no big deal. That's how you build a strong man. At least that's what he says. Sometimes I like to think about what life would be like if my mom was still here or if I knew my dad.

I rushed upstairs, went to my room, then started my homework. I couldn't help but laugh at the world history textbook and all the whitewashed information that was printed in front of me.

What a shame.

"Yo stupid," Rasheeda barged into my room, "Kareem said wash his truck or no dinner," she said then left.

I sighed and looked out my bedroom window which faced the driveway. I rolled my eyes at the muddy pickup truck in front of me.

I guess this homework isn't getting done.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading!

who is your favorite rapper?

don't forget to comment and vote✨