II.

Day 1

Day 1

I sat in my calculus class, watching the second hand run around the clock. Only 32 seconds left, but as always Mr. King felt the need to teach until the bell rings. I can't stand that man.

Finally, the bell rang, interrupting some girl who stood in front of the class, attempting to solve an equation.

I quickly ran out of the classroom and dashed down the hallway towards my locker. I have to make it there before Marcus and the Morons. Every day, since the tenth grade, Marcus comes to my locker just to slap my books out of my hands and push me around. I have no idea why he does it but I let him. I rather go through that than actually get into a fight. That's why I didn't do anything in the cafeteria when I got pushed down. I prefer to stay low and to myself. Conflict is not my thing.

After seeing that no one was at my locker, I put in my combination, grabbed my backpack and rushed to the detention room. I don't want Marcus to spot me hanging around.

I walked into the classroom and smiled when I realized I was the first person there. I chose a desk in the middle of the room and stared out the window at everyone getting on their bus. This really sucks. I did nothing wrong and now I'm a prisoner for five days. But it's not like I was doing anything else.

A few minutes passed and the rest of the guys started to arrive. The room was silent and everyone was looking at their phones. A dark skin guy wearing all black came in and sat next to me. I began to shrink in my chair and bury my face into my notebook. The last thing I need is for him to realize I'm the one who got pizza on him. I looked up and he gave me a slight nod. I let out a sigh of relief.

The door creaked open and an argument could be heard. Then, in walked Andre Brown, the most popular and athletic guy in school. He slammed the door then threw himself into a chair. Everyone looked up from their phones and he rolled his eyes. Drama Queen.

Finally, Dr. Thomas came in and sat on the desk at the front of the class.

"I'm glad to see you all made it on time," she smiled, "Everyone turn your desks to make a circle."

There were some groans and I understand why. I thought detention meant quiet time.

"Instead of wasting an hour staring at blank walls, I've decided that we will take the next few days to get to know each other and learn new things. I want you to introduce yourself and share one of your goals."

She began to look around the room, waiting for someone to volunteer. I lowered my head in hopes that she wouldn't pick me first.

"I'll go," this light skin guy wearing an Africa chain raised his hand, "My name is Rashad and one of my goals is to educate young brothers and sisters."

"So, a teacher?" some boy who looked like a 90s hip hop music video interrupted.

"No," Rashad rolled his eyes, "I plan on being like a shepherd leading the sheep towards freedom."

He's an idiot.

"You do know shepherds don't lead sheep to freedom, right?" the same boy questioned.

Rashad furrowed his eyebrows and clenched his fist. Someone's mad.

"How about you go next," Dr. Thomas said.

"Okay," he stood, "I go by Malik and one of my goals is to become a rapper and return hip hop to its former glory."

Everyone in the class began to laugh and I tried to hold my laughter in.

"Man, if you don't sit your Fresh Prince lookin ass down," Rashad chimed in which caused the laughter to grow.

He does kind of look like Fresh prince. But just a little bit.

"That's enough. Your turn" she pointed to the guy next to me.

"Well, I'm Jovaughn and I plan on becoming a community organizer."

The room was silent. Probably because no one knows what a community organizer is.

"That's wonderful," Dr. Thomas broke the silence, "Your turn," she pointed to me.

Instantly, my mouth became dry and I felt my heart rate speed up. Everyone was staring at me and as I tried to calm down.

"My...uh," I paused to wipe the bead of sweat that rolled down my forehead, "My name is Demetrius and..."

Shoot. I'm not sure what any of my goals are. I'll make something up.

"One of my goals is to go to college." I said simply.

That wasn't too hard.

"Really? That's it?" Rashad chimed in once again.

"Man will you shut up?" Andre yelled before I could say anything.

"Who are you to be judging his goals? You don't even know what a shepherd does."

"You better watch your mouth before we have a problem," Rashad stood up.

"Then what's up?" Andre stood then Rashad moved closer him.

Dr. Thomas jumped between the two. "Both of you sit down. I won't hesitate to turn this detention into a suspension sentence," she yelled, "Andre, introduce yourself. Rashad, have a seat."

Rashad went back to his chair, obviously annoyed.

"I'm Andre and after graduating college," he looked over and smiled my way, "I plan on going to the NBA."

"Now," Dr. Thomas went to the front of the class, "Everyone shared a long-term goal so I want you to write three things you can do now to achieve that goal."

Once again, everyone groaned.

"After that, you're welcome to go home and I'll see you all tomorrow."

▲▼▲