XIX.

"Are you serious?" Shayla laughed while her head rested on my shoulder and I played with her blue braids

We sat up against her locker with Ravyn and Alice across from us, listening to Demetrius talk about his cousin's date with Rashad over the weekend. 

"The weirdest part was everyone calling eachother king and queen," Demetrius said.

"Sounds like you were at a hotep fest," Shayla giggled.

"What's hotep?" I asked.

"Super conservative black me who are filled with conspiracy theories, homophobia, and misogynistic beliefs," Ravyn explained.

Definitely sounds like Rashad.

"And the always talk about black people being descendants of Egyptian royality," Alice added.

"Wait, that's not true?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Malik," Shayla laughed, "Black people who have ancestors that were enslaved are from West Africa, not Egypt," she spoke slowly.

I nodded my head, taking in everything she was saying.

"So why do the hoteps say we're Egyptian?" Demetrius asked.

"Because niggas want to be lightskin," Shayla shrugged and eveyone started laughing.

The bell rang for first period and me and Demetrius headed to class together. I had no idea he was in my class until a couple of weeks ago. The boy is so quiet that he disapperas. I entered the classroom and grew excited when I saw a substitute at the teacher's desk with a magazine in his face. Everyone in the class sat wherever they wanted and the room was filled with chatter. I took a seat and Demetrius sat next to me. He pulled out his phone and headphones then zoned out.

I decided to scroll throough the comments of a music snippet I posted to see what people thought before I dropped the full track.

Shay🐠💙- i'm going to fight your friend

I read the text and knew exactly who she was talking about. Shayla and CJ have a class together and can't stand eachother. I think CJ is jealous because I let Shayla help out with the music stuff. It's not just us anymore.

me- ignore him

Shay🐠💙- but he's in my face and you know how I feel about white men

CJ loves picking on Shayla because he knows he'll get a reaction which is weird. I would not want to argue with her and she can fight.

me- just don't physically hurt him

Shay🐠💙- you're lucky I like you