XI.

Pep Rally

The school gym was filled with black and brown students dancing in the bleachers as This Is How We Do It blasted through the speakers.

"What's up Washington High!" Alice came out in her yellow crop top and baggy jeans to resemble T-Boz from TLC.

The girls had been planning their outfits for weeks. Shayla stood on the bleachers cheering for her friend, dressed as Left Eye in green while Ravyn wore red and did her curly hair to resemble Chilli. Demetrius, on the other hand, wore a vintage Prince concert tee. 

"Are yall ready to meet this year's varsity basketball team?" Alice asked and everyone screamed. At their school, the basketball team is extremely popular. They're the superstars. Undefeated for the past three years thanks to Andre of course.

As Alice announced each player's name, they ran through the tunnel formed by the cheerleaders with their green and yellow pom poms.

"Next we have your captain who's brought you three championships so far. Give it up for Andre Brown!" 

Everyone chanted Andre's name as he ran out on to the court with a basketball and dunked.  The crowd erupted in roars while Andre waved and blew kisses in a few directions.

"Show off," Ravyn though and rolled her eyes.

"I don't understand how a man can be so fine," Shayla melted into her seat while Ravyn and Demetrius laughed.

Joey stood in the press section, jotting down notes about the day's festivities and gathering quotes for the school's Black Voices magazine which he is chief editor of.

"Alice," he called out after she handed the mic to Dr. Thomas and left the floor.

"Hey Joey," she smiled.

"Can I ask you some questions for the magazine?"

"Of course," Alice took a seat next to him.

Rashad sat on the opposite side of the gym wearing his made in China dashiki whit a scowl on his face as he listened to Dr. Thomas give her speech about school spirit.

"Now, Washington High, make some noise for your very own Mal the MC," Dr. Thomas cheered into the mic.

Everyone became quiet as all the lights shut off and darkness covered the gym. Malik came out and stood on the school's green and yellow logo in the middle of the floor. The lights came back on and everyone screamed as the music played and Malik's words danced through the crowded gym.

▼▲▼

"That was superb," Shayla ran to Malik and jumped into his arms. The two had been getting pretty close over the past week while working on Malik's logo.

"Thanks," he smiled and placed her back on her feet, "Aye CJ, take our picture."

The two did a few poses together then Alice, Ravyn, and even Demetrius joined in.

"Can you send me some of those," Joey asked while approaching the group with his co-editor, "for the magazine."

Meanwhile, Andre and Chase were walking towards the group in their matching leather jackets, dressed as greasers, when they were stopped by Justice, Andre's little friend. 

"This is none of my business," Chase said then left his friend.

Andre rolled his eyes then tried to walk around her.

"How you gonna tell me that Ravyn chick is nobody but you bringing her breakfast and what not?" she asked while Andre watched her bounce as she rolled her neck.

"Are you serious?" Andre clenched his jaw, "You're not my girlfriend. I. Don't. Like. You." he spoke slowly so she could understand every word. 

"If you don't like me then why were you all over me during the weekend?" she yelled and a few students stopped walking to gather more information.

"Why you being so loud?" he grabbed her arm and pulled her into the school where there weren't any nosey people.

▼▲▼

As soon as the pep rally was over, I rushed home to type my article

As soon as the pep rally was over, I rushed home to type my article. It's going to be fire. Right now, there are two other people on the staff, which is why the magazine isn't popular, but I'm going to convince Shayla to join and give her a column to pop off in. I think she'd be a great addition to the magazine.

I sat in my bed with my laptop and stared at the blinding white screen as the cursor flickered. I could feel the writer's block creep up behind me as my fingers glided across the keys, in search of the right words.

Maybe a nap will help.

About an hour later, I jumped out of my sleep when I heard my dog, Huey, barking. I quickly glanced at my computer, hoping some words magically popped up, and sighed at the blank screen. I walked downstairs and the barks grew louder. At the bottom of the steps stood my mom and some guy holding her hand. He had rich mahogany skin and long brown dreadlocks. I sized up the man and rolled my eyes.

"Who's this?" I asked.

"Jovaughn, this is Corey," she looked over at him with a soft smile.

"Okay...and?"

"Well," she grabbed his hand, "Corey and I have been dating for a while and I wanted you to meet him before we go any further in our relationship."

Further? I know this earthy looking nigga is not trying to move in on my mom.

"What about dad?" I asked as I felt my body begin to heat up, "You said you'd wait for him."

"Joey, he's never getting out. When are you going to understand that?" her voice grew louder, "I'm finally happy again and I want you to be too."

"I'll be happy when my dad is home. You're his wife, you're supposed to stand by him not date some clown," I pointed at the dude.

"We were never married!" she yelled and I felt my heart fall to my stomach.

"What?" I struggled to say and she sighed while Corey kissed her cheek then left.

"Legally, me and your dad never got married. When we were younger, I wanted us to get married and he said that during slavery, black people were denied legal marriage but still did so before God. Your father told me he'd never subscribe to the white institution of marriage. I thought it was so sexy how intellectual he was so I agreed," she laughed, "Then I realized it was just an excuse to not get married so he could still sleep around," her eyes began to water, "He put me through so much."

"Jovaughn," she lightly placed her hand on mine, "I am so sorry for telling you like this but I finally have a man who loves me and I think you're old enough to understand that."

I got up and walked into my room while trying to process everything she said. I've always thought my dad was a superhero even though he's been in jail since I was ten. Hearing about him manipulating my mom and cheating on her is a lot to take in right now.

▼▲▼

that's all i got so thanks for reading

don't forget to comment, vote, and call your senators✨