XXIX.

"We're friends, right?" I nervously asked Ravyn as we sat in the library while eating lunch

I had therapy yesterday and my therapist asked if I've made any friends since that was one of my goals for the school year. I wasn't sure if Ravyn considered me a friend. I mean, we do hang out a lot and she's really nice to me. Ravyn, Alice and Shayla aren't cool anymore so there is a possibility that she's using me as like a rebound friend and she actually can't stand me. Maybe she just wants to make her ex-friends jealous. I hope that's not the case though. And my parents have been bugging me about her since they met her.

"Of course we're friends Demetrius," she smiled and I let out a smile of relief.

"Well can you do a favor for me? As a friend," I avoided eye contact and rubbed the back of my neck. What I was about to ask is an odd request.

"It depends..."

"My parents invited my 'girlfriend' to dinner tonight and I was wondering if you'd come."

"I'm not going to pretend to be your girlfriend," she said sternly.

"Please," I begged, "Just for one night. My parents have been asking about you and I panicked."

"But I thought you were going to tell your parents that we're friends."

"I was going to but then my dad started being... fatherly."

With my dad thinking Ravyn was my girlfriend, he actually wanted to hang out and do father-son things. He gave me "the talk" while we did yard work. It was awkward but it was nice to just spend time with him, even if its because I lied.

"Fine but you owe me. And I'm not going to be nice," she rolled her eyes.

▼▲▼

My stomach began to do backflips as soon as Ravyn got here. She had her braids pulled back in a long ponytail and wore a short lilac dress. I never realized how pretty she is which made me more nervous than I already was.

"Can I come in?" Ravyn waived her hand in my face.

"Uh...yeah, come on," I led her to the dining room where my mom was setting the table.

"It's nice to see you again," my mom said then hugged Ravyn.

"Hi Mrs. Carter," she smiled then my dad entered.

Here we go.

"So how long have you two been dating?" my dad questioned.

"About three months," Ravyn lied effortlessly.

My parents proceeded to ask her a bunch of questions about her goals and what not. I didn't know much about her, like she wants to be a writer and she has an older brother in college. I can tell that my parents really like her but I don't know if this is an act or she's really this amazing.

"You seem like a smart girl with a bright future ahead of you," my dad said, "I don't see how you ended up with this weirdo."

I shrunk in my seat with my head hung low. I knew this night was going way too well. Ravyn looked over at me with sad eyes and held my hand under the table.

"Well, I like weirdos," she squeezed my hand and I felt my heart rate speed up.

"Listen here sweetheart," he looked directly at her, "I think its best that you two end whatever this is before you get your feelings hurt."

"Andrew, what are you--"

"The boy is gay!" he yelled, interrupting my mom.

I wanted to drop dead right then and there. I knew inviting Ravyn was a bad idea and I knew my dad being nice was too good to be true.

"He's not gay, right Demetrius?" my mom looked at me and I looked away.

The words were stuck in my throat. I began to feel trapped. All the walls were inching closer to me and the ceiling was getting lower. My chest tightened and I could hear my heartbeat. The room was getting hotter by the second.

"He is gay. Don told me yesterday."

Uncle Don? Stephanies dad?

"I don't mean to disrespect your home Mr. and Mrs. Carter but you two should listen to how ridiculous you sound. So what if Demetrius is gay or not, it's his business. If he said he's not gay then he's not gay. Period," Ravyn spoke, "Come on."

Ravyn grabbed my arm and pulled me to the door.

"Where are we going?" I was finally able to speak once we got in her car.

"To get ice cream."

▼▲▼

I watched Ravyn eat a spoonful of her strawberry sorbet while I drank my vanilla milkshake. She wanted to buy me ice cream so I'd feel better but ice cream is gross and she's a vegan but not one of those annoying vegans. The milkshake cheered me up a little but everything that happened at dinner kept replaying in my head.

"I'm not gay," I blurted out on accident.

"You don't have to prove anything to Demetrius. I'm your friend regardless."

"I know... I just..." I took a deep breath, "I attracted to all kinds of people. I don't have a preference." It felt really good to say that out loud.

"Are you attracted to anyone at school?" she asked.

"Well," I scratched my head, "I think you're really pretty."

Ravyn had a big smile, "Thanks," she giggled, "You're good looking too. Is there anyone else? I have a list of fine people at school."

"Uh... Andre is attractive."

"He sure is."

"Wait, you can't stand him."

"So? He's still fine," she said and we both laughed, "Chase is cute too but he's so annoying."

"He is kinda cute," I agreed with her.

We spent the rest of the evening going down Ravyn's list of attractive people which was made up of guys and girls.

▼▲▼

thanks for reading!

don't forget to comment and vote ✨