Dead Birds

(This will be told from third person omniscient point of view so you can know what everyone's thinking 😊)

"Raven, Jamie. Would you mind getting me a glass of water? And I need to talk to Anna about something alone. Sorry." Emily asks in a tone that leaves no room for denying.

Anna Marie looks over to Emily, confused. But she could see something stirring in her eyes. So she let it be.

Raven and Jamie exchanged awkward glances.

Awkward, the best way to describe what would happen.

"Ma, I can go alone." Jamie says in a tone more pleading than she wished.

"Jamie, I have to speak to Anna Marie alone. Go now. Don't worry, his name may be the same as a bird but he doesn't bite." Emily says with a smile.

Emily looks over to Raven and before he covers up the awkwardness that he was thinking about with a smile, Emily saw exactly what he thought.

Emily was laughing with joy on the inside. This would be fun. She needed something fun to do.

"Go now. I'm getting thirsty." Emily replies feigning impatience.

"Okay." Raven and Jamie say at the same time, receiving a laugh from Emily and Anna Marie.

Anna Marie looks to Emily with words in her eyes. Her eyes speak the simple words, "I know what you're doing."

Emily simply smiles back as if to say, "yup!"

Raven and Jamie awkwardly leave the room.

Once the door shuts, both ladies inside burst into a fit of laughter.

"Do me a favor, and pull the curtain back to see how far they've walked." Emily says to Anna Marie.

Anna Marie doesn't need to be asked twice. She's curious as well.

She pulls it back and there stand two faces looking in opposite directions.

"Psst. They're right here." Anna Marie whispers to Emily.

She had to whisper because the doors aren't exactly soundproof. Everyone on the otherwise can hear 80% of what's going on. That's how nurses know if the patient needs their help. Nurses prefer to leave the door open so they can hear 100% but some patients like their doors closed.

Strange.

Emily bursts into a fit of loud hearty coughs. Anna Marie starts to get worried but as soon as she looks through the window once again she sees that Emily is a genius.

After a minute of coughing, Emily asks, "Gone yet?"

Anna Marie laughs and nods her head. They practically ran.

"Do you mind getting me some water? My throats a little dry now." Emily asks.

"Definitely." Anna Marie replies.

Anna Marie walks over to get Emily a cup of water. She turns the nozzle in the sink so that the water gets filtered and isn't tap. She fills the glass up three-fourths, so it won't spill on the way back to her.

She walks to Emily, and pushes the setting on the bed to make it push the upper body forward. Once she is sitting completely upright, Anna Marie holds her hand and gives her the glass.

Emily drinks the whole glass in less than a second.

"More?" Anna Marie asks.

"No, I'll drink the rest when the dead birds come back?"

Anna Marie gasps. "Dead birds?"

"Oh come on. That was supposed to be hilarious."

"I'm not laughing, explain?"

"There are lovebirds and then there's Jamie and Raven. They're dead birds."

Anna Marie laughs and simply says, "How does your mind work?"

"Mischievously."