[6]

Maria was once again in the midst of the castle garden. She felt calm in this quite and serene area. And as the small and blissful spring breeze blew the emerald grass around her, she prepared to finally figure out this <Light Barrier> of her's.

After a month of constant trials and error, she had to admit, she wasn't a genius in magic arts. It was a fact. Something that she was sure her brother would have definitely taken less than a day or two-maybe three-to figure out, has taken her a bit over thirty days now.

Half of that time was actually spent trying to understand the words of the magic book, without a mentor, she could only use her own knowledge. Maria fully realized why intellect was also a part of being a mage. Any normal person who saw the diagrams, notes, and descriptions within the book would have already had their mind overfilled and given up right there and then. Not only did it hold detailed diagrams and notes of just how to control your mana to activate the magic, it also told of the exact way to pronounce each word of the scripture in order to form the spell. One small deviation could cause the magic to fail to activate; she now understood why mages where depicted as calm, they had to be to truly fight.

She sighed to herself as her lips began to move and an aura of golden light began to spew out of her sitting figure "Oh goddess of light, protect me in your embrace."

The golden light began to condense into shape, and soon, a clear and spherical energy of light enveloped Maria in its center. Since she hadn't poured much mana into the spell, the outward total length of protection was nothing more than a few feet from herself.

'Finally.' She thought as she looked at this barrier of light that matched its name perfectly.

After a month of constant practice, she was finally able to correctly control the mana as stated in the diagram. Why would this take this long? It was because, if not correctly controlled, the light barrier would crumble upon itself, crack, then shatter.

Countless times she had saw it shatter, and countless times she had persisted.

Overall, she was glad her work and patience had paid off. And although she didn't know how strong the barrier was, but it was said its defensive capabilities was dependant on the mana stat of the person. She wasn't sure if it was a one to one basis, as in an A rank mana stat would protect against an A rank strength stat, but that was what testing it was for.

Dusting herself off slightly, she calmly walked towards the edge of the spherical dome that enveloped her.

Standing not more than a foot from it, she took a stance; her left leg slightly behind, her right leg placed in front, and her fists held up in front of her figure.

She took a deep breath.

Then...

Her right fist shot forwards.

The wind moved in tandem with her motion and her peach-colored hair fluttered under the glittering sun.

A loud and echoing rhythm echoed amidst the day as her fist found contact with the light barrier.

The wall of light embraced her attack as her fist stopped in motion and she felt as if she had came into contact with a magnificent wall of metal.

However, the ripples that spread across the barrier immediately diluted her thoughts.

Like a sea, small waves spread across the barrier as it shielded her impact.

Finally, after the ripples had spread across the full dome, they disappeared as it regained its calm and serene surface.

Looking over all this, Maria calmly withheld her fist as she stood stationary in pondering.

'It's at least a one to one ratio for now, however, how much of that amount of force can it withstand?'