[10]

She left the building with newly found knowledge and, although she didn't fully understand its concept, she felt the art of Magic Circuits to be a mystical field. Even with the limitations it possessed, if it could be further researched, it seemed quite a viable way to make life much easier for people who are not adept at magic.

It seemed quite surreal, so much so that she remembered what she had asked the vice director.

"Can it be used to move carriages?"

Sadly it seemed that was a long way away as the woman had sighed and spoken.

"Yes, in theory."

"However, Magic Circuit is still a fairly new field and has just begun to develop about 10 years ago."

"We have figured out how to move the wheels of the carriage, however, we still can't figure out how to control it with precision."

"Also, it's shortcomings are strong as it's currently impossible to control it to go onto rough terrain. The whole carriage would move with extreme slowness to the point that it would be more effective to just pull it along with horses."

"There's also the issue of energy needed. To control a single sparring puppet, we need three medium magic cores or a single high-rank magic core. And it would be able to continue to move for about a day or so.

"Now, imagine if we took the case of a carriage. We need to move the carriage with the addition of the weight of the people inside and also factor in the distance of movement. We would need a heap of magic cores just to get it moving for a day. Magic cores are not cheap."

"In the end, it's more efficient to use horse-drawn carriage. All you would need to do is feed the horses and keep them alive."

Although a bit disappointing, she thought, it was alright; after all, it was only a field that was in its infancy. There was no need to expect results right away in a field that had developed for less than 10 years. Even Magic, the most widely acclaimed powerful art, had had a development period of hundreds of years.

Her deep thoughts were brought back abruptly as a voice entered her ears.

"Where do you want to go next?" Rain asked.

They were now always from the building.

Maria thought briefly, pondered, and prepared to answer.

"Let's re-"

Suddenly, a force crashed into her as her body shuddered before hurling backwards.

***

A few seconds prior.

'Something's wrong.' The knight had immediately felt it, from her months as an adventurer and her years a guard, she had felt it.

It was killing intent, a slow creeping killing intent, almost unnoticeable. So faint as to hide its whereabouts, however, she would find it.

With a thought on her part, her skill <Circular View> activated.

In a moment the surroundings became a vivid view in her mind. From the dust that settled onto the paved streets, to the buildings behind her. She could even see the sky above without looking. The amount of light was keenly in response to her mana rank.

Noticed, oh she did, a hazy figure-blurred by obscurity-prepared atop a rooftop. Seemingly blending in with the surroundings.

Holding an item in his hand, he lept down.

Her body had already moved as soon as she had saw him, grasping her blue hilt and silver blade. She willed her body as her speed increased.

She appeared in front of Maria and kicked her backwards while her blade made an arch across the air.