[42]

It stood, a giant, towering.

The pure azure ice that completed it in full glittering amidst the day. Its structure a bulky exterior with innards of nothingness, seemingly a fragile mess that would fall down with a single push. Yet, it held the aura that they had all come to recognize, the aura that screamed to them of danger. Given only the signal to run, their legs quaked and shivered from the mere thought of battling the titan before them.

Maria had only felt this aura twice in her life. The first from Alice Albridge, the so-called Crow's Throne 4, directly telling her there were at the very least three more people that were potentially stronger that she would have to face. The second time she had been forced to sense the danger from a being laid with the mysterious vampire empress known as Iu, who seemed to be able to read her as if a book yet she herself could glean nothing from.

She was beginning to think there wasn't a single ounce of a fire temple behind that thing that currently stood before her, and Alex likewise held the thought that maybe they had stepped on a needle ready to pierce their skin. Yet, the floating loli behind him sleeping so soundly almost made him feel a sense of security. Although...putting his life within her hands wasn't the best bet.

Their feet dug into the winter wonderland that surrounded the entirety of the landscape.

"It's attacking." Ais's voice merely drifted, as her right hand grasped the blue hilt of her weapon, pulling it from the sheath at her waist with quick swiftness, the silver blade dancing within the air for a moment before steading.

She stepped forwards, before Maria, as she watched the movements of the beast.

"I am Voltum...all that disrupt my master...must perish..." Its hallow voice, ringing without lips, had churned a quiet, faint, tune.

Its right hand raised.

The wind rolled, the snowy lands waved as dusted white moved in a dance. Even as she wore her armor, Maria began to feel an endless decimation of the temperature. Clearly, she wasn't immune to the elements.

"<Avalanche>." It swiped.

The ground rumbled.

The snow below the ice golem's feet rolled forwards in a rise...directly blocking the sun as it fell down upon the group.

"Alex..." Maria asked, hoping the boy somehow held a weapon of sorts that could deal with an attack of this scale.

"Double series..." His voice trailed, he was already in the grasp of the blackened sheath of a katana.

Within moments, the snow beginning to fall upon them, he had taken a drawing stance. His right leg forward and his left aback, the sheath to his left hip.

"<Black Grace>!"

He pulled his weapon from its sheath.

The world rang the echo of a shrill, as if the mixture of a bird's endless chirp and that of scraping metal.

He slashed upwards with a single stroke.

A gleam of a single white strand of light blinded the horizon, as if cleaving the sky into momentous sections.

The air tore as a massive gust of wind echoed, Maria and Ais having to shield their eyes as they watched the mass of the avalanche cleave into two.

A loud boom rang as the snowy wonder found itself at their sides, evading their path as it scaled upwards momentarily before falling back down in the same boom. Momentarily shaking the team's stance, a deep thick frozen breath welding through them as the snow fell with nothing but sprinkles left upon them.