[29] (2/2)

As soon as she opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was him.

He sat atop the bed, his back against the wall, his legs crossed almost as if in meditation. And his hands rested against his knees with eyes closed. He looked dully calm as he sat there in tempid silence. His bristling red hair resting upon his head with the single small ponytail against his right shoulder.

"The first time I took a life was to save another, and yet, I failed." He smiled bitterly, his pale red eyes glancing at nothing in particular.

At that moment, Maria finally noticed the rays of the sun shining upon the tears that streamed down his face in rows.

"Funny isn't it?" He turned his head towards her as he made an hollow laugh.

Maria remained silent as she stared at his figure.

She realized, maybe it wasn't just sleep and hunger that made him refuse to talk earlier? Maybe seeing those two also brought back the memory he tried to bury but failed to do so? Yet, she didn't know how to comfort someone, she didn't know the first step to that hazy outstretch. She wanted to; yet, she had never comforted a person before.

'Layfon Allen,' He was like an older brother to him. She didn't know how to pull her own brother away from an abyss. However, just then, a voice called within her head.

[He would have wanted you to smile brightly.]

"He would have wanted you to smile brightly." Her mouth moved simultaneously, relaying the words she heard in her mind.

[He would want you to stay strong.]

"He would want you to stay strong."

[He would want you to be the same proud boy he knew.]

"He would want you to stay the same proud boy he knew."

[After all,]

"After all,"

[You promised you would surpass him.]

"You promised you would surpass him."

He remained silent for a moment, their eyes locked against each other; one a pale red outstretched with tears and the other a pale pink filled with uncertainty. For a moment, he saw the small smile of the blonde knight as his head felt the patting of warmth.

"Thank you," He began.

'Thank you,' She began.

"Maria." He ended.

'Mar.' She ended.

Crimson red eyes slowly opened as the figure unfolded her arms. Standing up from the chest in which she sat, she stretched quite naturally before beginning in small mild steps. Reaching the midpoint of the room, she paused for a moment and turned her head to glance at the two.

[That was it? He simply killed someone and lost another, yet, he grieves as if he was in constant pain.] Ain's voice echoed into her mind in complete disregard. Quite naturally, he was a beast, although he could speak and held as much intelligence as a human, he was still a beast at heart—and, quite so, thought like a beast.

Within the world of the highest strengths of demonic beings, survival and growth were entirely derived from looking out for yourself. In the realm of the dungeon, the stronger you became, the more control you would have over the lesser beings within your area. To the point where, once you had been designated as a 'floor boss' by the dungeon, unless killed in a special way, you would revive and continue to live to command the rest.

Yet, it would seem his host didn't quite agree with his views.

'Shut up.' Ashe's voice projected back in response. Laced within was a bloodily dreadful intent of slight rage.