[2.2] Early Years (2) 2-Year-Old

Two-year-old Maria was truly a strange child; she never cried, she didn't overly annoy anyone, she fancied reading and she was always well behaved. And there lied the problem.

'Is this really a two-year-old child?' The maid wondered as her head slowly peeked from the door.

Whenever she had spoken to the King and Queen about this, all she would get was the parental love clouding their eyes. They didn't seem to care one bit about the oddness of their child.

"My daughter is a genius I tell you!" The King would bellow out a laugh.

"Just like her mother." And the Queen would nod to herself in content.

However, Mash did not follow the same train of thought as the parents.

She could see the little princess sitting dutifully on a chair and quietly reading the book in her hand. That wasn't just any book, it was a book titled 'The Fundamentals of the World', a book which recorded various laws that governed this word from the things knows as <Skills> to the holy system known as Sacred Text. However, this was also a problem...

'Is that something a child her age should be reading?' Mash asked herself as she tilted her head to the side.

Being a young girl of 15 years of age, she really couldn't decide on her own. She had once only been nothing more than an orphan on the streets with her break coming in when the royal family adopted children to train into maids and butlers. So, she really didn't know much about the world. However, she was quite sure that wasn't a book a child should be reading much less reading it so attentively and so engrossed in it.

So she figured, being the main caretaker of the princess and all, it was her job to change this even if the King and Queen didn't seem to mind. After all, this concerned the health of the princess.

'Well! I'll change her mind!' She nodded as she convinced herself of her choice.

Mash slowly pushed the door open and walked towards the little princess while hiding an item behind her back. Stopping before the princess, who had her gaze lowered and trained on her book, she lightly feigned a cough.

Maria looked up from her book at the woman in front of her. A maid with short shining black hair that reached her shoulders and seemed to complement her shining hazel eyes, and an overall young figure of maybe 15 but at most 17. She wore a maid dress of black and white with a skirt that reached to her knees.

"???" Maria tilted her head slightly in a show of confusion as to why this maid would disturb her. Wishing for the person to speak.

However...

'So cuuuutttteeeee!' The very maid couldn't help but think something differently in her mind as she received a severe attack in her heart.

Although Mash couldn't understand why the King and Queen didn't mind the strangeness of their child, she could understand why they would let her do anything she pleased.

'With such a cute expression, how can I be so bold as to disturb her!?' The maid asked herself.

An internal war waged itself within her. Fix the princess behavior to be more childlike or let her do as she pleased simply do to her cuteness?

'No! No! No! Don't let it get to you! This concerns her health! They will definitely thank me later for my work!!!' The maid shook her head before nodding to herself in a pleased manner.

'What is it already!?' Maria was slowly growing impatient.

She had just reached the section of the book that described <Skills> and how some people could awaken one at birth as if a gift gifted from God. Then there was the point of being able to train and acquire a skill through various events. However, that wasn't the point! the point was why was she being disturbed!!!

Mash finally noticed that she was being stared at intensely by the little princess. Her big crimson eyes blinked at her in a show of waiting.

Mash finally dragged herself from her stupor and brought the item from her back before presenting it towards the princess.

"Look! I made a doll for you! See! It looks just like you! A princess!" She quickly stammered to explain as she showed the crude doll.

It was a simple doll woven out of wool. It had a pair of red bottoms for eyes, a cloth cut into and sewed into a white dress for clothing, and a small copper ring serving as a tiara for the princess.

Yes, this was Mash's plan to distract the princess with something more childlike. Making a doll for the princess to play with. Frankly, she was quite proud of her workmanship.

However, her target seemed to think differently.

Looking at that smiling face that presented the small doll towards her, Maria visibly frowned. She wasn't interested in dolls!

"I don't want it." She decided to be straightforward as she shook her head.

Mash was stunned for a moment. What did the princess say? She doesn't want it?

She could only dejectedly leave the room...

However, as she closed the door, her hazel colored eyes burned in a light of challenge.

'Next time! Surely!' She thought.

'I'll make her more like her age!'

'I shall make her more like a princess!!!'

She had come up with a task for herself even though no one asked it of her.

Mash hummed to herself at the thought of remodeling the princess into the perfect princess as she walked to go fetch the princesses lunch for the day.