CHAPTER TWO: MUDI MY BELOVED❤️

We started walking to the village square in silence. My mind went to Mudi, how could i get his attention. I do know that I may be lacking in societies beauty department with regards to my body structure, but I have my womanly quirks. And I do have a pretty face, I am light skinned that has to count for something. Besides the definition of beauty here has a lot to do with fair skin. I just don't understand why I am a bit nervous. It was a feeling foreign to me.

I have to catch his attention somehow even though all my previous invitation to treat had gone unnoticed.

Perhaps if I sang for him or fake a fall like in all those folk tale I might gain his attention, at least I know I have a gift for singing.

At this point I'm not even going as far as wanting him to talk to me. All I want is a mere glance my way, a proof that my excessive invitation to treat hadn't gone unnoticed.

I look down at my body, sure I was in my best clothes but I couldn't help but wish they could have been a little tighter to show some womanly curves, then again mine are non-existent.

Perhaps it's better that the blouse flow freely hiding my humiliating under developed cleavage. Just then Shatu spoke, interrupting my thoughts. I could not get what she said, I simply said, Uhum, waiting for her to repeat herself, ' look', she said, pointing to a baobab tree. The tree that scares me to death. For it is said to be the home of many evil spirits. Damn, I hate that tree, not that I will ever say it loud, I do not want to anger any resentful spirit.

' it is said that Larai's mother got possessed by a demon (evil spirit) from this tree' she said.

' the last time she had a seizure, the spirits asked for an offering of 3 calabashes of Organic yoghurt, 30 pieces of white kolanut and a full black chicken, God, it cost her a fortune, she had to sell her bed to come up with the money. As it is, their room has nothing but a mattress. And the fulani yoghurt seller did not even reduce a dine, she has no compassion at all.' she continued. 'sucks for her' i said.

'You know it is said that there are good spirits among them, ones that guide you, protect you and help you even with money.' I added.

We had already reached the village square. The square is a plane land. With no building structures on it. On the right side was a stand for Mai shayi( tea seller, who also sells bread and eggs) there were guys seated on a bench right next to him, they had rubber cups filled with tea in their hands. There were others standing by just talking. By the left side was a sugar cane seller, people were buying also. There were a group of guys standing in another corner talking and laughing. We kept on walking to where the girls were standing, some of the girls were hawking different type of goods: peanuts, tiger nuts etc. But my eyes were searching for mudi. Suddenly, I felt someone pulled me into a hug, I quickly looked and saw Larai with a grin plastered on her face. Welcome she said. I simply smiled. This girl has been trying to be my friend since forever. She does my every bidding so I can approve of her. But I can't find it in myself to accept her. Lets make a circle she quickly says, let the games begin. Wait said Hadiza, the village good girl. She is well mannered, disciplined and respects everyone or in my opinion lets everyone steps on her. She was going to be married in the next six months. She wasn't beautiful per se, but her character made her stand out. She also has a Sweet smile on her face, which made her adorable.
Everybody likes her. Mother's especially, they kept saying she was going to be a good wife. She got about four marriage proposals from different parents. Zubairu's parents had chosen her for him and had sent a marriage proposal to hadiza's parents, which they gladly accept.