CHAPTER 20: THE SHAMED

We reached the bus station, and all of us boarded one tricycle.

The tricycle driver kept glancing at zakiyya. A couple of times he tried striking a convo, we eagerly answered him. But his attention was on zakiyya. At first we thought we were mistaken, for Zakiyya never got attention from any man in our village. She had never experienced the joy of being under a positive spotlight. She was always the last to be picked for anything, she was not liked, not liking her is okay, in fact it's the norm. The girl has been shamed. It all began when she was 5years old. A tragedy that left a permanent mark on her.

Her mother was Kandala, her father is Malam Hamisu. She was their second child. Her father was one of those men that work in the city, he was rarely home. Once in four months he will visit them. He refuse to move them into the family house, because he wanted a private life, like the life he admired in the cities. His house was secluded from the rest of the house. It could be because he was not rich, it may also be because of his admiration of those in the city that live in a very quite area with their families. Still, his house was near his parents. But Malam Dogo's residence is the closest to theirs. Malam Dogo, is a man struck with great misfortune, he was an owner of two oxen that he rent to farmers to till land. In two months all the two died of mysterious disease. His wife became the breadwinner of the family.His wife Zaliha was an intense woman, she never takes anything easy.

She is a woman who believes men need to be handled like iron and moulded with fire. A woman should be the blacksmith. According to her, That is the only way to a peaceful coexistence.

Malam Dogo did not had it easy. It came to a point when he was never home, he would rather roam the streets and sleep under a tree for weeks than come back home.

Whenever he was back home Zaliha will exclaimed

'is roaming season over already, I have not cooked with unreliable lazy vagabonds.'

She will refuse him meals. He was not a young man, he was middle aged, around 45years. He had 3 male children that were already married and living in the same compound. Sometimes they will pity him, and tell their wives to reserve a plate for him whenever he was home. But the wives were scared of being in bad terms with Zaliha. Only one of them, Munnira will reserved food for him and will discreetly take it to him. Zaliha found out and confronted Munnira, she said

" young girl, I am not an evil woman, I just don't forgive or forget easily. This is just payback. Go to town and ask, I have shown Malam Dogo more mercy than he had shown me. You think you are kind? Remember, i am your mother inlaw, i can end your marriage within seconds if i want to. Remember that before you cross me again."

And indeed, when she asked, people told her Malam Dogo was a brute when he had money. Zaliha was his punching bag. Nevertheless they shunned her behavior.
Zaliha and Malam Dogo fought a lot, but they always had a cease-fire. During those days, you can barely recognize them. They were so much in love. It will make you wonder, how can people hate and love each other so much at the same time.

Malam Dogo started picking moringa leaves, he would go to the bush and cut trees and use the wood to cook moringa. He then carries it on his head and sell them all by himself. Everyone in the village cook moringa themselves. So He target the markets of bigger villages and sell at a very meagre price.

As Zakiyya's house is located in the outskirts of the village, it happens to be where he picked most of his moringa. He will always pay them a visit. Zakiyya's mother kandala was always a generous host and offered him a listening and understanding ear.

In one of his visits to the big village's market, he met a man. A man that reads people's future. The Man seldom Visits the markets. It is believed he communes with the spirits. Some even believe he is a spirit living within men, it is said his powers were unimaginable. Malam Dogo did not have enough money to seek for an insight into his future. But he was determined to change his present. So he waited, until The man had finished consultation. Then he stood and greeted the man with much respect, Bowing after every word. The man said,

"you will be the last person I see today, I can see your future is bright. I will like to be a bearer of good news."

He said with a smile that revealed his brown teeth. Everything about the man was scary. From his five inch long negro unkempt hair, to his wide cracked feet. Nevertheless, he was revered and feared by the market people.

The man continued

" you will attain greatness, you will become rich and very respected by people. You shall be married to beautiful women that will be dutiful to you. You will have riches beyond your imagination. This can only happen if you are willing to make a sacrifice. Otherwise you will live a life of a destitute."

Malam Dogo answers eagerly " I will do anything, what do I have to do?"

The man smiled and asked again "anything?"

"anything" Malam Dogo replied eagerly.

"Come closer, for your sacrifice requires discretion."

Malam Dogo went closer and the man whispered something in his ear. Malam Dogo gasped, mouth agape, he couldn't say anything, he was in shock. It took him a moment to regain his composure. The Man laughed, his laugh was like a cackle, thunderous and scary, it send shivers.

He gave Malam Dogo some charms and said " don't pay me now, pay me when you have become rich, remember, nobody should see you, otherwise it will not work"

The man rose. like lightening, he was gone.

Malam Dogo went home. That day, his wife's bickering did not disturb him at all. He went to his room and kept thinking about what had happened. His silence almost bothered Zaliha but eventually she convinced herself it was a devise Malam Dogo is using to get her attention. So she ignored him.

By night, Malam Dogo had made up his mind. He was going to make the sacrifice. Besides it will be a one time act. Nobody has to know. True, a girl's life may be ruined. But his future is at stake. He was not going to let sentimentality ruin his professed future. True he will ruin her, her future will be bleak but who says life is easy or fair. He had had his share of misfortune and was about to end it once and for all. Besides if she can keep her mouth shut, she can keep her reputation. It was one girl or his future. He chose himself. He believe he deserves a great future.

He had one girl in mind, she was an easy target. She lives in a secluded place, outskirt of the village. He has an excuse for going there. It was no other girl but Zakiyya.

He beleived in the Man so much that by morning, he started behaving differently, as if he is rich already.

He set out for Zakiyya's house. But Kandala was there. She was a protective mother. Always tending to her kids personally. He went home disappointed. Times without number he tried but without success. One time he went to the house. He crept in. But after a while Kandala saw him, he was wearing nothing but knickers. Surprised, Kandala put both her hands on her chest and exclaimed " There is no might and power save that of God what are you doing in my house like that?" she exclaimed

"I'm picking morning leaves around..." he started

"inside my house? Without salam? I don't see any moringa here? Are you picking invisible moringa. And dressed like that?" she spat

Kandala was a sassy woman.
This incidence disturbed Kandala greatly. She told her sister what had happened. The sister told her to report the incidence to her in laws. Kandala did not report it to them, but she made sure Malam Dogo knew he was unwelcomed. She feared her in laws will think of her as petty.
Malam Dogo grew impatient. Zakiyya was the last piece to his chess game and it is checkmate

Now more than ever, he was determined in his quest. So he went back again, hoping it will be the time he will collect his due and complete the ritual. Kandala was washing plates. Her radio's volume was high. She was humming the song that the radio was playing. So Malam Dogo crept in again, Zakiyya was playing beside her. He Signalled for her to come over. Young Zakiyya complied to the command innocently.

To be continued....