CHAPTER 7: THE TOWN

Then he made his way to where I was sitting, Shatu was still not back. He casually said "hello, where is Shatu?"

For the first time in forever he looked at me. He did not just glanced or sneered, no he looked at me, like I was a human being. My heart stopped, I did not know what to feel. My throat was dry and my lips short of words. I could not bring myself to say as much as an ugff. I was under his spell. My brain was saying answer him you dimwit but my voice betrayed me. My confidence all but melted Away. What's this, this must be what love feels like. I'm sure of it. He says again  "Where is Shatu?"

Still I did not answer, he did not ask again, he stood there waiting for me to answer, but how could I, when his heavenly mesmerizing eyes were piercing into mine. After an internal battle of emotions I stammered In a faint voice " she Shatu came and she, she" before I could embarrass myself any further Shatu answered from nowhere:
'Yaya Mudi, what are you doing here?"

I just sat there smiling, looking at him. 
"There you are" he said turning to Shatu "I was just asking your friend your whereabouts." They talked for a while and he walked away. All this while my gaze was fixated on him. Then I felt a little sad because I had not gotten enough of his view.  But once I recovered an overwhelming Euphoric feeling resurfaced. I was sooooo in there.

A soon as he left Shatu said "next time Ladi, you can use words, remember you are not mute. You are blessed with a voice for a reason. I'm sure being mute is not part of it. You looked like a dumb idiot" she hissed.
"Sorry" I said

We were a step closer to our goal, he had noticed me. That night, i lay beside my sister on our bare yellow mattress as I envisage our future. Mudi and I's magical future together. Smiling I closed my eyes as I calmly let sleep over take me.

The next morning, I woke up extremely happy. I even offered to help my mother with chores. I was singing love songs while I work.

I had a day left before I leave for town. I had to see Mudi before I leave. I had a plan, I bathed and took out one of my best clothes. I was in the mood for make up. I have heard from Shatu that make up accentuates my beauty. Since my body is not exactly the best, I decided to enhance my face. I draw a very dark line just above my eye brow with my khol. It was perfect. Then I put on my red Lipstick. I did not bothered to wear a hijab today. I wore a veil instead. I hurried to Shatu's house. When I met Shatu I told Her I had a sudden urge of seeing Mudi . I told her we were going to take drinking water to him, since he is already in the farm. Rain had started to fall. Preparations for planting were being made.

"That's bold" she replied. "I know, but since I'm going to town the next day I don't have much time." "See!" I said with a grin as I showed her an old soda bottle that I filled with cold water from our clay pot.

I waited for Shatu to get ready as I mentally try to compose a dialogue for me and Mudi.
In 20 minutes she was ready and we were on our way to his farm.

He was shirtless, his shirt was carefully laid on  a shrub. His long trousers was folded up to his knee. He bent down ploughing the soil. His broad shoulders accentuating his well sculpted muscles that flex as he ploughs the land.
He oozes of an effortless charm. I could not take my eyes off of him.

His mocha black skin was glittering under the sun, he then stood up and wipes the sweat off his face. Still unaware of the eyes that were ogling him. He stood up and stretched, As he stretched his eyes met ours, I felt butterflies in my stomach and then he smirked.

He walked Aesthetically towards us. I unconsciously tighten my grip on the water bottle I was holding. My eyes never leaving his beautiful body.

When He came, He put his right leg on top of a stone. Both his hands were on hips.