CHAPTER 5: THE DEAL

For the first time I felt ashamed. I felt embarrassed about my love for Mudi. Guilt was the emotion I felt. I looked down, fiddling with my fingers. I could not answer Shatu. My mind went to Hafsat, Mudi's wife who also happens to be Shatu's half sister. She had been nothing but kind to me. Hafsat is my cousin, only 3 years older than me. Her kindness knew no limits.
She is one of those girls that love everyone, she hasn't much but she helps all within which she has. She rarely complains about anything. She is a good girl, a girl everyone in the village is proud to be associated with. She is not particularly beautiful, non of her physical features stand out, but warmth and compassion radiated from her. It was her character rather than her looks that draws you to her. She has never fail to help me whenever I needed it even when I did not ask. Whenever I am going to town she makes sure she gives me some money to hold, or soap whatever she has. She is responsible, too responsible for her age. She tries to be a big sister to me. Despite my mother being friends with her mother's co wife. My mother being a loyal friend to Delu, Shatu's mother is not particularly fond of her. It is not because she was bad or had done her wrong. It is because she is her mother's daughter and has no flaws one can exploit to downgrade her. Rivalry between wives extends to children. Each child representing his mother, her mother has the perfect representative in her, one that cannot be tainted. Instead of looking for flaws, we simply ignore her. Yet she pretends not to notice and never withhold her genuine beautiful smile to all. She is her father's favorite and most prized jewel. Shatu had always been jealous of her, perhaps that is why I felt comfortable telling Shatu about my feelings.

Shatu had posed a simple yet difficult question. Why Mudi? Loving him is an enigma. Explaining why I love him was like explaining why the sun shine, why birds fly, why the sky is blue. Loving him came natural, a deep affection I never knew I could feel. It has become part of me, a habit if you may. A dear habit I love to indulge In.
In his love I find peace, I find comfort, I find hope. Yes.
He signifies all I want. Why can't I have him. I deserve him, I deserve to be happy and right now Mudi is my happiness.
My love for Mudi knows no bound, it ranks above any rule of morality. Yes it is immoral to be in love with him. But it is not my fault.
For one thing was certain I am infatuated by Mudi. I want him, I want him bad. What I am doing may be morally wrong, but I cannot let go of him. He has to be mine. He has to be mine at all cost. Hafsat will just have to be collateral damage.
"Shatu" I said finally. " I Love him, I love everything about him, the way he moves, the way he smiles, the way his lips curve when he speaks, everything Shatu, Everything. I have to have him. "
"Ok" she says
I felt relieved. Finally, a helping hand. The Lord knows I needed one.
" I will help you. It is not going to be easy, I'm getting my hands dirty for you. My father may loathe me, but I don't like Hafsat also. I will see whether she can smile when Mudi tells her he will be marrying you as a second wife " she says bitterly "Everybody chooses her over me. Her little life won't be perfect anymore. But I want you to be sure you want this because once I get my hands dirty for you, there is no turning back, Mudi shall be yours in no time, I give you my word" She concludes.
" but how can we achieve it, I have been dangling myself at Mudi almost all the time, but he never even looks at me." I said wiping my tears
" you will be everywhere, I will make sure of it. He will have to notice you. I will choke him with you if I have to. He shall be yours. Starting tomorrow we will do things my way. You still need to wear your flirtation coat, I will make him available then you do your part.
We will make sure he wants you, he loves you even . All the romantic Hausa movies we had been watching shall not be in vain" she concludes.
I find myself smiling, finally I was not alone in my pursuit of Mudi, Shatu is by my side, supporting me as always. Shatu is my saviour.
I was overjoyed and I finally thought of something I can do to Shatu as well.
I stood up all smiles and said "Shatu, you remember my brother Musa, if you want I can make you his bride in 6months"
" you are joking, Musa the hot guy, every girl in this village wants him, how can you do that?"

"I am my mother's daughter, I have my tricks. You will see" was my reply.

And so, we made a deal. I am my mother's favorite daughter after all, she raised me well and in her image.
My mum had only boys before I came along. I became the apple of her eyes. Later on she had another daughter. Who is not even close to beautiful. She lacks the intensity I possess and so she was feeble in character. I remain the object of my mother's devoted attention and love. It will not be hard to convince her to marry Musa to Shatu. Musa will have to concede, for what man in his right senses can ever refuse His mother. It is believed that a Man's success in the life after death weighs heavily on obedience to his mother after obedience to God. She can be his doom or savior. If he obeys her within the limits of Islamic faith, he enters paradise otherwise hellfire will be his abode.
All I have to do is make my mother order him to marry Shatu. How hard can that be. She never refuses me.