CHAPTER 11: THE PREDICAMENT

I continue to give Mudi my unconditional Love. I reserved a plate for him everyday. When he was in the farm I will take the food to him. I gave him attention whenever he needed it. I did not withhold my feelings. I loved him how I knew. He was starting to warm up to me. He seem to genuinely enjoy our conversations.
Still I felt a pressure to impress him, but I did not want to scare him away. I was ready to change for him, to be the woman he wanted, but He did not wanted me to change. He had accepted me for who I am. I was dedicated to our Love.

Today I stood outside his house while Shatu went to call him. When he came she went back home. I ask that we should take a walk together, side by side. Feeling his presence, feeling him watch me as my heart jump out of joy. He accepted without scuffle. We walked together, side by side. All the while we talked. He seemed to be in a sore mood, he refused to tell me why and i did not pressure him. I decided to enjoy his presence and the the pleasure it brings.

We walked in a slow pace. As we tread the soft soil. I stole glances at him. Beside me was the love of my life.

The Breeze was blowing softy upon my face, I closed my eyes and engulfed the pleasant earthy smell of sand. I open my Eyes and saw him gazing at me intently. "It must be raining somewhere?"I commented "yes" he replied. I swirl around and sang a song each kid in the village was accustomed to. It was like a rite of passage. "Allah Kawo ruwa (Oh God, bestow rain upon us,) .

He just Laughed, he even chuckled and God! he was intoxicating.

We made our way back. As soon as we were back, Mudi did something that got me worried. He walked passed me, never turning back as if he did not know me. I swallowed and made my way home. I was greeted by a small crowd of people. I made my way to see what was going on.

It was Talai. She was being taken to the hospital. It is indeed a momentous day in our village. Women don't deliver in the hospitals, Kande the village midwife was always summoned. The last child that was diliverd in a hospital was nicknamed "likita' meaning "doctor". 7 year old Likita also watched curiously.

Talai is the second wife of my cousin Maigida Sule, first son of Hafizu my uncle, as such we live in the same compound. There were currently two pregnant women in my house, Asabe and Talai. Today Talai is going to be a happy mother by God's grace.

Pregnant Asabe had been working painstakingly hard. She was a washerwoman, she makes tofu and let's her young daughter sells it, she roasts and sells peanut. She makes pure groundnut oil and groundnut cake, she makes shea butter oil. In the evenings she sells fried beans cake(kosai/akara)All of which she sells and saves the money. She never heed warnings from people for her to slow down.

How could she, there was too much at stake. The last time she was pregnant She did not work half as hard. If history had taught her anything it will be never to depend on a man for all your needs. The last naming ceremony was a disaster. She had promised never to endure that sort of humiliation ever again. There was barely anything to eat, no ram was slaughtered. Her son had to live with that shame. The shame of a child who was not named with a ram.

While Asabe's biggest concern was the naming ceremony, Yarinya'a concern was a different one. Her co-wife was pregnant. Yarinya is the first wife of Maigida Sule. Now more than ever Yarinya was nervous and apprehensive. The new wife Talai was pregnant. It was bad news. Yarinya had always given him female children. The last was the third in a row. He wanted male heirs not the weak females Yarinya gave him. He refused to even carry the poor child. His mother asked "what is it this time?" "a female" Asabe said.
" I am not surprised, It is her family's tradition after all. " the mother In law said with distaste .

What will become of her if the new wife bore him a male child? Already her marriage has been reduced to nothing but shambles.

The new wife Talai had been demonstrating signs of carrying a male offspring. She had an exceptional appetite and insists on eating a lot of meat. She will not sweep and blames it on the male child, she found new admiration in hoes. She wanted softer mattress and the husband bought her a brand new one. He concedes to all her demands, after all they were not hers, they were his male child's wishes.
While Yarinya was reduced to her maid. She cooks for her, Talai complains about the cooking but never fails to devour it.