CHAPTER 3: BLAME IT ON MUDI

I woke up to the next morning feeling much better, hard as I may try, I could not get Mudi off my mind. I have to come up with a new strategy to lure him, my mother did not raise a quitter.

Just then, my mother walked into the room. I was lost in my thought, I did not hear her come in. "What are you still doing in here?". "Come quickly and go to Hajiya Uwani's place. Buy us pap for 30 naira. I forgot to soak our millet yester night". Ughhh! I sighed. I wore my Hijab (a head covering/headscarf worn by observant Muslim women, that covers the upper part of a lady, usually reaching the knees. In Arabic known as Khimar )picked up the money she dropped on our mattress, that was barely covered with a worn out sheet. The mattress was already flat due to overuse the foam cover was no more, revealing the bare yellow foam. My younger ones had wet the mattress, I sprinkled a generous amount of water at the place she messed up and took it out, under the sun to let it dry out. As I struggled to take the mattress out, it bent towards me, resting on my petite body, I cursed under my breath. I set out for Hajiya Uwani's place.

The village was unusually quiet and peaceful. The morning air blew at my exposed arms which weren't covered properly by the Hijab because it is smaller than my size. I had owned it for as long as I can remember.

The road to hajias house was scantily littered by mostly grown men heading out to their farms. They were in a hurry carrying menial farming tools by hand.

My gaze shifted towards the trees which housed chirping birds, singing obnoxiously loud causing poor by passers such as myself a headache. I know some people find the noice amazing or rather serene. I find it irritating, then again a lot of things are irritating to me.

I was too deep in my thought, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and almost missed a pair of dark brown eyed broad chested stud.

My blurry mind immediately snap into attention and my droopy eyes widen, now more awake than ever. Even in the morning he can still steal my breath away. Lips stretch into what I hope is a demure smile at the sight of my prey, I felt self conscious in my desheveled state having just woken up.
So I pulled my Hijab covering half my face leaving only my eyes visible which I considered my best asset.

I purposely turned to the street he's heading which was opposite to where I am heading.
I briskly walked pass him and turning to another corner, I took a deep breath before walking back .

Time to put my plan in motion , now that we were facing towards each others directions, I walked as Gracefully as I could, swaying my hips although they might not be much. I batted my eyelashes hoping to get his attention. But when his eyes met mine, he quickly moved his gaze to the floor moving with determined strides.
My heart sank to my feet as a feeling of cruel rejection courses through my veins as he disappeared.
I blame his rejection at my wretched dishevelled morning appearance. I swallowed my disappointment and continued on my way for the pap.

I heard someone tapped me, i jumped in fear, quickly turning. I was about to curse the hell out of the person who almost got my heart jumping out of my body in fear,  my eyes met Hadiza, who was apologizing profusely. I decided to take it easy on her seeing how apologetic she was. I yelled a very loud What! At her. Lucky her I did not hate her. "I saw you walking, I called and called, them I ran until I caught up with you, I'm sorry I scared you, I did not mean to". "What do you want?" I asked. "May I walk with you, I'm actually headed this way too.""sure, whatever" I said. "Where are you going anyway?" I asked.
"I'm going to Malam Sani's garden, I need groceries. I'm cooking for Zubairu. He actually gave me enough money for the meal you know. I don't what to mess this up, that's why I want to shop early and get everything ready. I don't want any mistakes." She said excitedly.
It is customary, that a the girl cooks for the man she was to marry. He pays for all ingredients. He then invites his friends and all enjoy the nice meal cooked by the bride to be. It is part of courtship.
"Oh, i see". I said a little bit down. "How long have you guys been seeing each other anyway?" I asked.
"We met three times. I'm in love him and he loves me too. Don't worry Ladi, very soon you will also meet someone nice, and before you know it, you will be married. You will see" she answered with gleaming eyes.

"Frankly Hadiza, I'm tired of waiting. As it is, I don't have a boyfriend. My mother is worried already. I don't even know what to do. It is frustrating." I said.
"Don't worry, you are a beautiful girl. It won't take long." She concluded.

We were already at Hajiya Uwani's. We said goodbye to each other. Ironically talking to Hadiza made me feel better, especially after my encounter with Mudi. What Hadiza fail to understand is that I don't want any guy, I want Mudi.

Hajiya Uwani Sat in front of a burning firewood. A huge black pot sat beside her. Half naked, dirty kids swam around her. They each had a bowl in their hands. Waiting to buy pap. One of the reasons I hate coming to this place. I pushed passed them and went straight to the overweight woman. "Good morning Hajiya, i said cheerfully." "I want pap for 30 naira." I said forcing a smile. I had to be nice today, because I sure as hell wasn't going to wait for my turn. After asking about how my mum was doing, she gladly let me jump the line, gave me my pap and I went straight home.

We had breakfast, but I was still down. So I decided to go to Shatu's place. Perhaps we may even try going to mariya's place. I heard from my mother that she came back from the city yesterday. We can chat a bit and get my mind off Mudi. But I was wrong, Mudi cannot be easily forgotten . His rejection cuts deeper than knife, and hurts like a poisoned blade. The wound of this morning was still fresh in my heart, though it was already night.

He has rejected me, I felt dejected, someone has to pay. Not Mudi of course. But someone, anyone, I do not care who.

I heard Shatu at my door, "Assalamu Alaikum( meaning peace be upon you, a form of greeting used by muslims.) "Wa'alaikumus Salam( may peace be upon you too)"my mum answered. " Shatu greeted my mother, They were still talking, when I came out, I walked past both of them not uttering a word. Shatu followed, I can hear her trying to catch up with me, I did not bother to lower my pace, she finally caught up with me, panting. "What's wrong?"She asked, she looked worried. I was quiet for a while, I contemplated telling her but I decided against it, I then answered "nothing, I am just in a foul mood today, Do you know what will make me feel better? Let's wreak havoc on that village square today, consequences be damned" I said.

To say Shatu was pleased is an understatement, she was overjoyed. With a wide grin reveling her not so white teeth she said "it's about time"

We reached the village square, today was one of those days that the girls decide to chat instead of playing games. I can see them, clustered in a corner chatting, obviously enjoying themselves. Most of the girls have brought things to sell. I was scanning the place trying to choose my victim. Shatu said "look at Ameena, I have never liked the girl, she is a hardcore backbiter, I think she should be taught some manners, are you going to straighten her or should I?" Before she finished speaking I answered "gladly". Ameena was selling sesame cake, peanuts and some sugar coated tiger nuts. She has always been a tale tale, a gossiper and had always been the reason behind many scandals in my village. Evesdropping and backbiting are her favorite hobbies. She is very dark in complexion, a little chubby. She has a flat nose and thick lips. Over all she was as ugly as her character. Everyone is afraid of attacking her, because her mother is her most devoted comrade, in her eyes she does no wrong. In her opinion Ameena is a beautiful angel that the world needs to admire. Her mother would go to any lengths to try and get whoever as much as touched a strand of hair on her head.

It was my turn to choose a victim for Shatu. I scanned around and my eyes landed on saratu, she was almost as big as I, guess it's not her lucky day. But she avoids trouble. She minds her business and does what is required of her. She is a dutiful daughter and a pretty one also. "I think saratu is bored, perhaps you should entertain her". Today saratu was selling fried tofu with diced onion and bell pepper, and some ground pepper. It smelled nice. Shatu went over to her and said " put me some, for 50naira", saratu did as she was told and handed Shatu the plate. She came over to me and we ate the savory tofu. It was delicious. We had just finished when saratu came and said "
Can you pay me please?" "I'm not paying" said Shatu. Saratu just walked away. I almost took pity on her, then again life is a bitch, she has to man up to it. Better she learns now than later.
My turn, I said.
Time to raise some chaos I smiled before sauntering towards my unsuspecting victim.