CHAPTER 10: THE GIRL WITH THE EVIL OMEN

I went to the market to sell my food. I kept my tray beside me and sat on a flat stone as I waited for my beloved. People had started buying and I was busy selling. I was engrossed in my transactions when someone said "how much for a plate?" Like a reflex action I recognize the possessor of the husky manly voice. How can I mistake the voice of the love of my life. "For the possessor of my heart, nothing. I said" with a full toothy grin.
He smiled and that made my day.

Talking to Mudi is always a pleasure, it is sweet and hypnotizing. Everything about talking to him was amazing, his expression, his face, his smile, his laugh, his body movement, the way he calls my name, everything.

So sweet was conversing with him that I got carried away and made the mistake of putting my feet on a stone, beside me as I handed a full heaped plate to my Mudi. His friend Hamza called him. Hamza was shooting me deadly glares, let's just say he still hasn't given up. Ever since Mudi and I became a couple Hamza's hatred for me had increased.
I was looking at them when I heard a thunderous shout over my head:

"Take your leg off my seat you selfish ugly sack of bones! Don't take it, and I will throw this filthy smelly slime you call food! "

I looked up, ready to fight back but when I saw who it was I quickly retreated. Taking my leg off the stone in the blinking of an eye. It was The girl with an evil omen. Who was I to fight with her. I would not want any mishap in my small world.

Tall, slender but fat in all the right places, the girl with the evil omen is not to be taken lightly. Her small waist and plum lips adding to her sensual looks. But it was her eyes that gave her away. For her eyes showed her soul. They reveal an ocean of hopeless grief.

She did not say anything further, she sat on the stone, with an expressionless look. That blank expression scared me. What was to come later? Perhaps she also dislikes me because of my undying love for Mudi, may be she disapproves of our relationship. I had to explain to her. I do not want any evil to befall my certain future with Mudi. Still scared, I mustered the courage to talk to her. She was not looking my way, but I dare not tap her. So I waited until she looked, then I spoke:

"It's not like I'm asking her to pass him over, I'm simply asking her to share, to be a little generous. How many people in this village have co wives? Im just seeking the divine ordainment be upheld. I'm not asking too much. I just want a little love. To give love and receive love in return. I do not ask to get this feelings, it is something that was ordained by the Most Merciful. How am I suppose to refuse a favor bestowed on me by my Lord. Besides I wants us to be sisters in Marriage just as she is my kin. Please try and understand "

"You don't understand" she says, "I simply don't care. You can sit on his lap or do even worse before my eyes but I don't care. It's not my problem.
I said you were selfish because you sat on one stone and put ur filthy leg on another. If I wanted to say anything about your romantic relationship I would have already said it to your face and trust me I will not be subtle about it. " she said rudely.

She wasn't mean out of malice rather out of exaggerated self perseverance. She has grown cold and calous. But who will blame her After all she was known as " the girl with an evil omen" . Life hadn't been easy for her. Hard as it is to believe, it is said that there were times this girl knew how to smile. Now she move with a constant scowl. Her face lack radiance, I would have said she looks like cow but I will be unfair to the cow. I think cows are expressionless but this girl always have a bitter expression on her face.

Maryam is her name. I must admit even I think her life is a nightmare. It all started normal. Her childhood was typical, went to city and worked for years, when she was 14 she met her first love. Their love was epic. Even before marriage the pair were always together, smiling and laughing. So strong was their love that Muhammadu composed instantaneous love poems for her. While she sings melodies of sweet love all day. Alas! Their parents consulted and it was decided that the two be married as soon as possible. For why delay such beautiful love from flourishing.