CHAPTER 40: It's Happening!!!

Musa kept stalling Shatu, lie after lie he avoided her until he finally declared he wasn’t ready for marriage. Shatu is not a girl who will take rejection quietly. She had waited for Musa to do the right thing, to do good by her but it has ended this way. He had wasted her time and crushed her hope. While I was still in town, she met him in the Village night games and gave him a piece of her mind, not minding who was there. A piece of her mind wasn’t exactly pleasant, it was hurtful insulting shattering words that can put a sailor to shame.
Nonetheless Musa’s rejection had broken her heart. It wasn’t exactly easy for her though she tries to hide it. I knew Shatu front and back, inside and out like the back of hand, so I noticed it.
Musa’s betrayal was not Shatu’s greatest challenge. Her reputation had been tainted, thanks to me. She is now known all over the village as a betrayer who will spare no one. For how would she? when she betrays her own flesh and blood, her sister, she was not to be trusted. Nobody wanted to tie the knot with her. In the marital sphere, Families avoided her like the plague. Some even think the wrath of God will descend upon her, better not be near her when it descends.

Shatu ignored them, not once did she blame me for her misfortune.
I felt for Shatu for I knew what it felt like to have a bleak future. I will be going insane if it was me. Having zero proposal, living with very slim hope, it’s excruciating. If not Musa we have to get her a man, we must find a way to raise money for our marriages. Shatu had always been there for me, it is time for me to be there for her.

Whenever Musa sees us together he always give us a stank eye. Shatu’s words had done well in putting Musa in his place, it has left him resenting her and our friendship. Times without number he had tried to end our friendship but I had turn a deaf ear to his warnings for every Ladi needs a Shatu. That is striking a balance.

We were tight as we could ever be. We waited for my knight in shinning armour to do the needful. He said he can handle his parents. I trust him completely for what is love without trust?!

While I await for Mudi’s proposal, I came up with a way to help her. Mayyam had scribbled her number and Hajiya’s number on a piece of paper. She had taught me how to use the phone. How to follow the likeness of the inscriptions on the phone and the ones written down to call. I had called them once and told them I had arrived safely. I decided to call again. Desperate times call for disparate measure.

“Peace be upon you” I heard Hajiya’s benevolent voice on the other side of the line.
“and upon you too” I answered

After exchanging greetings. I asked Hajiya whether she needs a new house girl, I told her I had the perfect applicant. I begged her to employ Shatu. But she said she doesn’t like employing two girls who know each other because they tend to gang up against her and make her the enemy. They work less and like to gossip a lot. I promised it would never be like that and pressed on until she said she will think about it.

I called her several times after, snd pestered her until she finally give in. She said she will try the new girl for a month and see. Shatu and I were beside ourselves with excitement, finally our big break is here. For the first time in out lives we looked forward to going to the city again.

Mudi, was quiet for a while about the proposal I asked for. Whenever I asked he always say he is working on it.
But I heard from the village gossip that his father is adamant to Mudi’s request. Mudi moved to his eldest uncle and begged him to intervene. Luckily for us, his Uncle believe that if two people are in love marriage is most befitting otherwise, corruption will spread. By corruption he means fornication and its vices. He promised to talk to Mudi’s father.
While we await for For Mudi’s uncle to talk to his father. My mother decided to visit the blessed woman Baaba Kubura, perchance she may be willing to share her blessed rosary.