CHAPTER 22: JUSTICE FOR SALE

Jamila told Kandala to come with her daughter to the station the next morning before she left.

Villagers were hovering over Kandala while she explained everything to them.
She felt assured of a definite victory. Justice will finally be done. Now that ever body knows the truth and Malam Dogo punished, her daughter's name will be cleared she thought. What she failed to understand was that, even if that happens the villagers will still stigmatize Zakiyya. Something she came to understand when it was too late.

The next morning, Kandala, Zakiyya and Hamisu set out for the station, In a way Hamisu was proud of Kandala's actions and tacitly approve of them.

They reached the station and met Malam dogo's family who looked at them with resentment. They simply walk pass them and went to the counter. The police questioned Zakiyya and her parents. After that they were asked to leave. The police promised to call them if they were needed.

Kandala and Husna trusted the system wholeheartedly. Not once did it occurred to them that the system could be faulty. What they fail to understand is that the  the system was like a casino. Kandala and Husna were the gamers, the valuable here is Zakiyyah. They were simply gambling Zakiyya's future.

After two weeks, Jamila called Husna, who in-turn called Kandala. She sounded different, she was not her normal cool lax Jamila, she seem tensed. Jamila wanted to see them urgently. They went to her house the very day. She informed them the police wanted to see them.

All three women went to the police station.
Jamila talked to the police for thirty minutes which felt like hours while Kandala and Husna waited, finally she came to them with feedback.
She said
" look, this system is a very trying system. Zaliha had paid the police not to prosecute Malam Dogo. They say they can only prosecute him if you can counter what she has paid. You will also have to give me a small amount of money for my trouble. I have been spending transport money in this case. I cannot continue further without an assurance that you people are serious in this case. "

"How much?" Kandala asked desperately
" the police are asking for 10,000 Naira(approximately 28 Us Dollars) give me 3000 Naira (approximately 8 Is Dollars) only. I'm collecting this small amount because I feel your pain. The pain of one woman is also the pain of every woman."
she said shamelessly.

Kandala sold her rooms furniture, the only valuable she owns and paid the amount.

A week later Malam Dogo was back in the comforts of his house, how was that possible? Kandala immediately set out for Husna's house and they went to Jamila's house to tell her about the unfortunate news, so that she can help them bring Malam Dogo to justice as she promised. Jamila was shocked.

The three went to the station to find out why Malam Dogo was left unpunished. He was never taken to court.

It happens Zaliha and her son countered Kandalas money. What was evident is that Kandala is in an auction for justice. If she can outbid Zaliha, justice will be hers. She was tapped out. She had nothing left. The only thing she had left on the table was her dignity and she was ready to part with it for her daughter. She went straight to the police officer in charge, knelled down and begged him while tears flowed down her cheeks. She begged him in the most undignified ways.

He was unmoved and said coldly

"Madam, there is nothing we can do, you don't expect me to detain a man without evidence. For all we know you may have an unresolved feud and you want the police to help you disgrace him. We do not do this here. We are the fountain of justice. Stop tormenting an innocent man for no reason."

This was the man who only weeks ago was telling her they have enough evidence to charge Malam Dogo.
But she did not give up, She kept begging.

He got tired of her shameless begging , disgusted, he yelled " get out of my station before I throw you out or arrest you"