CHAPTER 35: MY NEW LIFE

Life has been good to me. I know my way around the house. Yelwa was about to go home. Hajiya had bought all the kitchen wares for Yelwa. She further paid her her salary and gave her 30000 as a wedding gift. It was a joyous day for yelwa. Even I shared in her joy.

It was said that her father had tears of joy when he saw the good fortune of his daughter. Who would have thought such an unattractive girl can have so much luck. Everyone knows beauty plays a huge role in a woman's fortune. Nobody appreciates an ugly face. But that ugly face was a lucky one.

Alas the ugly girl problems came. Yelwa's husband to be named Tashir a middle aged man with 2wives, withdrew his marriage proposal. She was to be the third wife. Yelwa was excited to be married and finally be a wife. He withdrew the proposal Two weeks before the wedding, on the pretense that he was not ready.

Everyone knows Yelwa is a good girl, she even helps her dad on the farm. So much for being good. She called the Hajiya to tell her the bad news. She wanted to come back but her Uncle forbade her father from allowing it. So Yelwa with all her kitchen utensils and her sewed wedding clothes stayed at home awaiting a new wedding proposal.  Unfortunately Proposal don't come easy. It takes effort even from pretty girls like me.but maybe her luck hasn't run out yet.

Another man proposed, but he refused to set a date for the wedding. He was also a middle aged man with 3 wives.

While Yelwa was home searching tirelessly for a husband. I was becoming more and more comfortable. I loved my new life.

Hajiya gave me mayyams hands down clothes. They were beautiful. Maryam became my friend. Who will have thought I could ever be friends with a filthy rich  grown up sophisticated rich girl. She happen to think I am hilarious. All the people in the house think that. They find humor in whatever I did or say.
One evening I told Hajiya that when I earn my first salary I want to use it to buy a phone. A phone with memory card and lots of marriage songs and love songs. Some in Hausa language others in India.

I watched tv whenever I liked as long as I am done with my chores. I even know how to change channels and adjust the volume. They mostly watch movies on some electronics device named "latop". Hmmm! Town people are too much. They have all this civilization and yet they let their daughters become grammas before they get married. What an irony. To my great surprise hajiya just laughed and say
"if that is what you want, it's okay with me. You've earned it"
I was thrilled .
A week later Halimatu called Hajiya to know how I was and if I was being good or naughty. She respects the Hajiya and doesn't want any complications. Hajiya even let me talk to her. I told Halimatu about my plans of getting a phone. She told me she will let my mother know.

Maryam asked me later while I was folding the laundry,
"Ladi why do you want a phone, I bet you are a mammas girl and want to call your mother everyday"
"Hmmm, my mother doesn't have a phone. They are very expensive to maintain, besides who will she call? Most people in our villages don't have phones" I replied
"But why do you want it? To be different?" she pressed again
I knew why I wanted a phone. To hear the voice that gives me peace and solace. To remind myself of the sweetness my beloved brings me while I still yearn for him.
Reminding me of the love of my life, I felt a wave of happiness surged through me. I hugged myself and closed my eyes. Remembering the sweet scent of soap and oil perfume the possessor of my heart always smelled of. My heart beat, my Mudi, My future husband goods willing. For a moment I forgot mayyams presence until I heard her chuckle.

"You are so weird, I swear" she said

Do I tell her the real motive behind having a phone? I mentally ask myself. Will she understand this holy feeling of having a certainty in a near marriage? This ecstasy of being in love with Mudi. How do I explain to her that giving away ones heart feels so much liberating. Sure Mayyams is an attractive girl with many boyfriends. But she hasn't loved like I do. For I can't image myself entertaining another man who isn't Mudi. Our hearts and destiny are tied together. We are soul mates.

"I want to call my boyfriend" I covered my eyes with my palms and turned by face to the wall, smiling.

Maryam laughed until her eyes watered.

"Wow! So you have a boyfriend? I'm not surprised. Who is he?"

"People of the house, Ladi has a boyfriend!" She yelled still laughing
Like it was the news of the century
Saliha, Raliya and Rukayyah,  her sisters rushed to the kitchen. All laughing and looking at me with interest.
"Tell us about you boyfriend" they say jokingly.

My heart welled at their interest in me. In that moment I felt loved. It felt like they were the sisters I never had. I felt great affection for them.

I was about to start running my mouth when I caught myself. How can I tell them I'm in Love with my cousin's husband? What if they judged me? What if they don't get it? What will happen to our new found relationship? I don't want to risk it.

"His name is Mudi" I said. It felt good to finally talk about him with someone. People that will maybe approve of the relationship. Imagine all the advice I can get from them if they know. Town people advice sounds appealing. How I can freely talk about it. But I stopped there. I had always been cantankerous so I was surprised at myself at how much I cared about what they think of me, of how much I value our relationship.

"Uhummmm, where did u meet? How did it started?" Rukayyah asked
"Are you two betrothed ? " Raliya interjected.

I looked at their expectant eyes. I did not want to let them down. I don't want to lie to them.

" well, we met at home you know, we are kind of related, we are not yet bethroed "  I replied
"What do you mean kind of related? Are u cousins? Iyyeh auren gida(inter-family marriage)

"Well he is married to my cousin" I said in a low voice
They laughed
"Seriously, I want to know. Stop joking" mayyam says
"I'm not" I replied

"Oh my God, tell me more. Now you have caught my interest"  Saliha, Who was watching and had said nothing joined in. Moving closer to me.

" how did it started? Have you always loved him" Saliha asked again

" well, not exactly. I never thought of him In a romantic way. But it happens that one day I went to his house to sell rice and beans, he couldn't take his eyes off me. At first he made me feel uncomfortable or weird rather. He pursued me until I started seeing him in a different light. I hesitated but he showed me love like no other. It was like the universe wanted our relationship. Well I thought about it and realized it is not a mortal sin to marry him. So I let him in. I have never regretted my decision. He has treated me right. He has touched my heart in the most extraordinary ways. I love him now. Our parents now see the value of our love and have agreed to let us marry. Even Hafsat has giving us her blessing."
I say
Okay, I garnished the story a little bit. But all I said were true in substance. He loves me and I love him back. Doesn't matter who pursued who. We will soon be married plus, Hafsat never objected so it's as good as I have her blessing.

Authors note
So sorry for the super late update. Please bear with me. Thanks y'all. Love u guys. Happy reading!!!