CHAPTER 21: MY DAUGHTER'S FUTURE

Kandala was unaware of what was happening. She was busy washing a pot, when she decided she needed more ash to scrub. Humming, She went to where her firewood stand was. She heard soft sobs. Her humming brought to an abrupt stop. At first she thought her ears were playing tricks on her. But the sobs continued. She walked to their reception (zaure). She held the most disgusting view. There was Malam Dogo, his shorts pulled down, he was on top of Zakiyya, he cuffed her small hands in his large ones. He was busy, and did not hear Kandala. Kandala shouted. He tried to shush but She carried a stick that was beside them and started hitting him, while she cried, wailed and shouted for help.

Malam Dogo managed to escape and ran away. Kandala, took her two kids and set out for her in laws house, all the while she was crying. She was too shaken to explain what had happened. She was speaking incoherently. After a few minutes, she regained her composure and narrated what had happened. Enraged, her father and brothers in law, set out for Malam Dogo's house.

Malam Dogo was in his room, when they barged into the house and straight into his room.one of the men seized and dragged him outside the room where he met the angry and intimidating eyes of Malam Murtala. The other men slapped him. Malam Dogo said nothing. He looked at the father in law and addressed him

"Malam Murtala forgive me, the devil took over any reason I have left. It is the work of Satan. Please, I beg of you."

He crawled to where Malam Murtala (the father in law) was standing and held his leg, weeping he continued

" Please Malam Murtala, shroud me from this shame just as God shrouded you from any shame. Absolve me, you have always been an understanding and kind man, extend that kindness to me.do not expose me .please" he pleaded

Malam Murtala Said nothing. Zaliha came running and asking what is wrong and what had happened. One of the men around said:

"you vile husband molested zakiyyah"

She turned to Malam Dogo, waiting for an explanation. But he only said
:
"Please forgive me, I did it for all of us. It was suppose to make me rich."

Zaliha dropped the calabash that she was holding and put both of her hands on her head crying and saying:

" Dogo you have shamed us. Why? I did not expect this even from you. Being a looser was okay but a paedophile, why. You have ruined us. Do you hate us that much. Why have you shamed your family, while all we ever do is love and support you. If people know, nobody will ever marry from our family. We will be shunned and disgraced."

Her son's have already gathered around.

She turn to Malam Murtala:
"Please sir, do not disgrace us. Do not punish us for his vile actions. Forgive him. If people ever find out we will be shunned forever. Have mercy on us. I beg you. Do what ever you think is right to him, but please don't expose him. I know what he did is despicable, but he is part of me, one does not cut off his arm just because its smelling. Please Malam Murtala, for the sake of God not for us. Be merciful to us and God will be merciful to you"
All of Malam Dogo's kids kept begging Malam Murtala.

Malam Murtala was in thought. He was one of those few men that were bestowed with wisdom and far sightedness.He wanted to make Malam Dogo pay. But, there was his grand daughter. He had to think of her. She was the most important person in this case. She had had enough, she deserves better. it will be better for everyone to keep quiet otherwise she will be shunned. Nobody will ever marry her. She will be stigmatized. Her future will be very difficult if someone ever found out. Girls like her were never excused. They were Like a taboo. It will be in his granddaughter's interest not to talk of the incidence ever again.