CHAPTER 36: THE PROUD OWNER OF A SECOND HAND PHONE

Well now my new friends know about it and they hadn't judged me. They were still shocked at a weird pair.

It was almost a month. Almost One month without news of home, almost one month without my beloved or his news. How I longed to gaze in his beautiful eyes. To see those long lustrous lashes curved upwards. But I was happy, in a week time I will get my pay. They I will give one of Hajiya's boys to buy a good phone for me. I will be the first to own such luxury in my family. I smile at the thought.

That day Halimatu made an appearance. I was excited. I asked her news about home. She told me everything was fine.
"How about my marriage, has a date been set yet?" I asked
"Not yet" she replied
"Okay, but have his parent's representative visited my father and his friends? " I asked
It was traditional for them to meet to officially gave their proposal.
"I don't know" she replied
"What do you me you don't know? You have been in the village all the while and you say you don't know? " I asked

"Ladi, marriage proposals are complicated, yours is the mother of complications. You just have to be patient." She replied
I nodded
"Let me get to the reason I'm here. Well, you mother and father sends their greetings. Times have been difficult for your parents. They have raised you well. Our religion always stresses about being dutiful to parents. If you are dutiful to them God will reward you" Halimatu said

I knew what she was getting to. But I let her finish.

" next week you will have spend one month in this house. So, your parents want me to plead with Hajiya to give me an advance of your month's salary" she concluded

I pouted. I folded my arms and turned my face.
" Ladi, you and whatever you own belong to your parents. Do you want God's wrath to befall you?" She continued

"Halimatu, you know why I'm here. If I give them my salary, how will I get married. How will I save? I'm not getting any younger. I wish I can help them out. Really but I can't. I have already made plans. Hajiya already agrees. Tell them Hajiya refuses to pay. "
I said bitterly

"You have made plans?! Well remake your plans. I'm sorry Ladi but your parents have given their orders. I tried reasoning with them. But nothing is coming in. They have to eat. Now, I'm going to go talk to Hajiya. I did not want to take you by suprise. But what was your plan anyway" she asked
"I already told you, I want to buy a phone Halimatu. I have to have a phone. At least I can have update on my wedding." I explained

"I had already forgotten about that. You mother never took it serious. She said no to the idea" she said.

She left to talk to hajiya and let me dwell in the bitterness I felt. The bile raising to my throat, the fire burning me, the piercings I felt in my heart.

To my surprise, Hajiya called me.
"Ladi, Halimatu wants to collect your salary. I told her about you phone proposal, to which she informed me about your mother's disapproval. Now, tell me what you want? Should I give her or not? Because it's up to you" she said.

I looked at Halimatu and looked back at Hajiya. I was about to make one of the most difficult decisions I ever have to make.

"No" I replied avoiding Halimatu eyes.

"Okay, get back to your work" Hajiya ordered

I went back anxious. I did not know what to expect. Well it may seem like I have betrayed my parents but they will just have to get over it. I was forced to take that decision. I have to get married soon and to my Mudi. What if Mudi proposes and I don't have money for a single item? No, my parents were asking too much. I would have conceded had they wanted to split, taking all of it was unacceptable. What guarantee do I have they will not come back next month and the month after it? No! I refuse to be one of those girls who get married with nothing, those who were  shamed and humiliated because of their lack of wittiness and their parent's greed. Even the husbands loose affection for them, their family will always mock me. I will never hear the end of it. My in laws will never respect me. I will live in shame. No, my marriage with Mudi has to work.

Moments later, Halimatu came to bid me goodbye. I was ashamed of my behavior but I had no choice. My parents left me no choice. Halimatu bid me farewell and was about to go when I called
"Halimatu, can you please send me Mudi's number? " I asked
"What? Maybe. I doubt your parent will allow me. Ladi, I have nothing against you. I am just a messenger and frankly I don't want to get involve in family feuds. Blood is thicker than water. If I interfere, in the end I will be the one who will end up looking like a fool. Family always stick together. If your parents allow it. I will send it through Hajiya. If not, there is nothing I can do."  She replied.

" Halimatu, thank you" I finally say
It was the first time I ever thanked Halimatu.
She appreciated it. For she smiled approvingly and left.

A week later Hajiya called me and paid me my salary. It was the first time I was paid my wages. It felt too good to be true. Like someone or something will snatch it from me. It was the first time I held so much money. So much money at my disposal. It was 3500 naira. For the first few days I waited for hajiya to recall her money, perhaps to give it to my parents or something. The demand never came.
On the fourth day she called me and one of her trusted boys, she asked me if I still wanted the phone to which I replied in the affirmative. Hajiya asked me to describe my phone of choice. It was easy, I wanted a phone with memory card that has lots of romantic songs. I told him. He told me it will cost 1500 naira including a SIM card. I happily gave him1500 from my salary. I was left with 2000 naira.
In hours he came back with a pretty red used phone with a SIM card and a memory card loaded with songs. He sent some from his phone. I was super excited.

I felt uncomfortable holding 2000 naira by myself. What if something happen to it. So, I gave Hajiya the 2000 back for safe keeping.

I enjoyed my phone and music a lot. I memorized most of it while I dreamed of Mudi and I dancing to the tunes.

Another month passed and Halimatu never called. I waited anxiously for my call. When the second month came and Halimatu never called I became agitated. I knew something was up. I had no body's number.

I decided to talk to Hajiya. I told Hajiya I wanted to talk to Halimatu.
"Ladi your people never keep a phone or rather never maintain a phone. You only speak to them when they want to speak to you. But let me try her"  Hajiya said
Hajiya called Halimatu several times. But her phone was switched off.

I communicated my concerns to Mayyam. I told her I have to go home to settle my affairs. For what if my parents have withdrawn their approval? Mayyam told me to tell Hajiya. I took her advice and told Hajiya I wanted to go home for a week and come back. I told her it was really important. I promised to come back. I felt weird usually I will run. It was different, I did not want to lose my job.
She agreed.
She paid me all my salary. It totaled 9000. She gave me 1000 for transport making 10,000. Saliha gave me some of her nice tight clothes so I can successfully woe Mudi, should he play stubborn. Ready made skirt and blouse and a nice gown. Mayyam gave me her black Arabian abaya gown. I thanked them. I was so grateful. I almost cried.

I promised to come back after a week and I went home.