CHAPTER 38: LETS FACE THE FUTURE

News about my new found beauty was spreading in the village like wild fire. I was the topic of every discussion. I left Mudi in suspence for two days. So i can make a grand appearance before him. What was strange was how i hadnt seen Shatu in those days. I have inquired about her and was told she was still in the village. She was sent back home from her place of work two days after she was taken there.

Now that my parents intention was out in the open, thanks to stupid Asabe, I knew I hadn't got much time. I will meet Mudi and we will discuss out future. I decided to talk to my mother first.

So, I asked her when we were alone
"Is Asabe's rant true? Were you thinking of marrying me to Hajji Shattima after you had promised me Mudi? Were you trying to doom me in a loveless marriage?"

" Look Ladi! We always have your best interest at heart. Husbands don't come easy. So much has been going on after you went to work. People in the village criticize us. Your father went and meet Mudi's father to talk about your relationship and how it should be sealed with religious approval. But, there were not willing to do so. We searched for other proposals, but after knowing your relationship with Mudi, coupled with your father's 'proposal to Mudi's family', as they all call it, No body wanted to commit. Hajji Shatti came forward with a proposal. We couldn't turn down what may be your only chance of marriage. Maybe it is you destiny to marry Shattima afterall" she said sadly.

"No! My destiny is Mudi. I will marry him and nobody else. I will never marry that Ridiculous old fool. I will rather die a thousand deaths than to have him as a husband. " I spat as my eyes watered

"honestly, I despise the thought of having him as an in Law also. If there was another option I would have taken it. It feels like we are stuck with him" she replies

"mother, how about that Malam you consulted, perhaps he can help"  I said trying to find a solution to our problem.

" I will consult him and see whether he can help" she says.

I dressed and went to see my one true loyal friend, Shatu.
I went to the house in the evening. Everyone was out, enjoying the cool breeze . I made the salam and was ushered in. My eyes searched for Shatu amongst the people, but I couldn't mark her out, I was about to ask about her, when the familiar voice of Shatu screamed my name followed by a tight embrace.

I looked at Shatu, but she was barely the Shatu I knew. Most of her fat had solidified and became muscle. She had lost her youthful glow and looked sooo much older. She was darker, her smile was ghostly. It was no longer the cheerful smile i knew. One of her incisors was longer that the rest of her teeth, one would have swore it will remain outside her mouth dangling on her lower lip when she covers her mouth. But, skilfully she made sure it was inside her mouth when she closes it.

I resisted the urge to ask what on earth happened to her. I knew it was probably nothing out of the ordinary. It is what happens to people when they spend most time under the blazing sun selling food, long usage of pestle and mortar, impossible chores coupled with poor nutrition. It had happened to Shatu also.

For the first time, I felt really lucky and fortunate.

We withdrew from the people and sat aside. We started talking, keeping our voices down, sometimes we even whispered as we high fived. I asked her about my beloved.

" He is fine. His parents said he may marry again, but not to you. He protested in the beginning,  But He is taking it rather well. I think he needs to see you to get the necessary push to do the right thing." She winked as she nudges me.
I burst into laughter, how I missed Shatu.

" so, when do you want to see him? We have to my dear friend" she said.

"i would say Tomorrow my dear, for I have been planning for a long time" I said. I then signalled for her to come closer, she did and I whispered to her ear
" but I think I should wait for my mother. She is going to consult her Malam first"
We giggled and
We high fived
But Shatu replies
"That's good, I think you should see him before your mothers visit, though, For time is not on our side. Right now, he needs to see you so you can remind him of the sweetness of love and the promises he made.believe me, He needs that."
"Okay" I said excitedly.

We decided it was best if I visit him the next day.

That say I decided to wear,
one of Mayyam's  hands down. I  gave Shatu a set.
H
Shatu escorted me to one of our village tailor, who we told to resize the rest of the clothes to a much smaller size. She was reluctant, she reduced the size by an inch, and insisted they will fit me right. Not knowing I wanted them to more than fit me, I wanted them to hug me tightly, to make me sensual and irresistible. Shatu told her, they were for her younger sister. It was then the strong headed nosy woman obliged.

That very day, when I went home, I asked my mum for some henna, I dyed my feet and hands in beautiful red.

The next day, in the evening, I took a bath. I wore a red gown, one of mayyams hands down I resized. It was made of a silky smooth material that rests perfectly on my body. No curve in my body will go unnoticed. To top up, they left a bit of a cleavage. What's the point of having it if you cannot show off. I rubbed a bit of red powder on my face. Lined the outline of my eyes with black kohl. I then put on some red glossy lipstick. It made my lips look fresh, plum and supple. A green coloured lipstick that turns to red once applied on lips. I lined the outline of my lips with black liner. I made a small dot beside my lips with the liner. I tried to look at my behind to have a glimpse of my shapely loveliness, I loved what I saw. I brought out my green veil, and carelessly threw it on my head, not bothering to make it cover me properly. I was about to go out when I remembered my mother, I decided to make the veil cover me well for now. I will manuver it once I am outside.
In a hurry, I rushed out as I yelled "mother! I will be at Shatu's"
I did not wait for a reply.
I went to Shatus house. Shatu ushered me into their room. Once we were alone in the room, I threw off my veil and showed her the secrets that lie behind it. She was impressed and gave out a squeal.

"One thing missing tho" she said

What could possible be missing? I ask myself internally. Before I ask her she held a small transparent bottle of fruit scented oil perfume while she smiled mischievously. Shatu loves perfume. She always buys them whenever the opportunity presented itself. Not bothering her mother's rant about how much waste of Money it is. She removed the cap of it and put a droplet of it on her palms, she rubbed her palms together and rubbed them all over my veil.

I put the perfume under my armpits and my body. She instructed me to put some on my clothes also. I willingly complied. Then I copied one of mayyams moves. I rubbed some on my neck and behind my ears. I never knew why she did it. But it just felt right to copy her.

We set out for Mudi's residence. When we Arrived at Mudis I waited outside while Shatu went inside to call him.

I stood beside our tree, chest out, bottom back, chin up, just so I can create an enticing view.

Few Minutes later, I saw Mudi and Shatu talking as they made their way towards me. My heart started beating fast. When they draw near, I started walking towards them, my veil on one shoulder, stamping my feet in style as even ounce of flesh shook with every step. I further wiggled my chest to achieve the desired effect.

Shatu took her leave and in less than a minute she was out of there. Mudi looked at me, I smiled as he took in my view.