CHAPTER 6: HE SMILED

Malam ( a term of respect accompanying an elder male persons name to denote respect or a person who is well versed in religious matters) Salisu (my father) was calling my mum. He was right outside our room. Hajiya (my mother) answered quickly, and hurriedly went out to see my father. He was already lying on a mat, he leans on his right hand to support his weight, while he ran the other hand on his bald head.
"I have to talk you about something important"
my father said.
" I have heard halimatu is here collecting girls. See to it that she takes Ladi along. She is ripe for marriage, but she has saved no money for marriage. What will happen if a suitable suitor come along and we have no money to marry her off. We are in a very disadvantageous situation. One has to think ahead in order to get things done the right way. I known I can buy a bed and leather rolls for the floor if we are lucky it is cemented, but that is as far as I can go. You and your daughter have to wake up and act like adults, be responsible for God sakes. Think about what I have just said."

My mother was quiet for a while, then she spoke " I know Maigida( meaning husband), I've been worried sick about her, and I have been doing a lot of thinking. What if her failure to stay at working houses is not entirely her fault. What if she has been possessed. Think about it, she does not have a suitor at the moment and she is a beautiful girl. What if some evil spirit is in love with her and does not want her to get married? What if He wants her all to himself?
Do you think I should talk to Malam Audu for an exorcism.'
"You shall not do such thing". He interjected angrily, "what your daughter needs is anger management and some manners, perhaps if you stop cuddling her all the time she might have gotten a suitor already. Nobody wants to marry a stubborn brat, I forbid you from calling Audu." He spat

"You may go now" he said "and bring me my lunch" he ordered.

Of course he will say that now. Trying to play the role of a man now. Exerting his power and control over me. He is always a father when it is convenient. Not when he is suppose to take responsibility. When I clothed them, he Said nothing, when I buy soap he keeps quiet, when he gave me only 1 bag of rice and 10 measures of millet after his harvest for the entire year, it was ok. Not caring where I will get the money for the rest of the ingredients and the groceries . But he is always eager to eat. He even complains when the food is not tasty.

Meanwhile He sold the rest of the harvest and married a very young bride. Now he is talking of responsibility. I will do what I must. The health of my daughter is my utmost priority. She thought.

She quickly cautioned her way of thinking. Her husband may not be the best, but he is certainly not the worst. At least he does not interfere with the wages of his daughters for the house work they do, unlike some men around here. Men like malam Liti could not even wait until when the girl comes back home. Every month they send Halimatu to the girls working house to collect his daughters wages. He practically lived on his girls earnings. She feeds him and his three wives. When the poor girl was about to marry, there was no money for half of the house stuff. She was taken with a mattress and a handful of kitchen utensils. That too was only possible because her mother's relatives pooled their resources. She was the object of everyone's ridicule especially the grooms family. Till date they call her a wretched woman whenever there is a fight between them. It was shameful. My mother shook her head in disapproval. The girl had to live in shame. No! her husband was fair at least, she thought.

But he was not being reasonable. Ladi is definitely sick she thought. She knew going to malam Audu will be defying her husband orders. But she could not care less. It had to be done. There was too much at stake. He will have to understand. She had no choice she thought. She only needs to devise a plan in such a way her husband will never learn of her defiance. She finally came up with a plan, tomorrow when her husband leaves for his farm, she shall go to Malam Audu with her complaints. She will quickly come home before he comes back. She smiled at her obvious smartness and in-depth intelligence.